How to: 97 Beast's Power Seat Mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to: 97 Beast's Power Seat Mod

So here's a write-up for something most people would never even think of attempting. I'm sure some may think "Is that even necessary??". And escpecially for all the modification that went into them. But to me, adding power seats was 100% worth it. You don't realize how much more comfortable the seat is with a few extra adjustments. Really this mod has become one of my favorite things I've done to the truck.
Garrett (weareweird69) presented the theory of this mod to me, and I was the one to put it into practice. 91-94 Ford Explorer seats are basically the same as 93-95 Ford Lightning seats with the exception of the fabric and the tracks mounted underneath them. The power seat tracks from the 91-94 Explorer seats are also fairly similar to the tracks used on supercab OBSs with the power seat option. I also found alot of interchangeability between parts of my stock f-series seats and the 91-94 seats.
I picked up a set of 8 way power seats from a 94 Explorer for $40. These seats were kind of a lucky find since the passenger was full power as well and they were opal gray in color, so the plastic trim from explorer seats matches perfectly.

The day after I picked them up I put a little work into the seats. I checked to see if they were working as they should. I got the drivers side seat completely pulled apart
After that I had a better idea of what I wanted to do. Mounting them in their existing form wouldnt be hard but I couldn't go that route. I plan on cutting down on height in a couple of ways so I can make my goal of adding no less than an inch to the height of the seat

I stripped the seats down to the bone taking everything i thought I could use including the lumbar bags which i now have installed in my rear bench seat.

This is the seat slider nearly at the bottom of its adjustment.

I planned on cutting height by making the seat tracks sit closer to the mounting plate for the seat cushion.
Also here's a comparison of the two plastic pieces the stock handles wont work, so the explorer handle/hinge/spring assembly will go on as well since they are completely interchangeable.

I will be loosing a 1/2" in height and the unnecessary tilt on the sliders. The sliders will now be flat on top like the manual ones. Since the tilt is built into the seat, seat tray, and the power sliders have a tilt control function, so it only made since to try to get the seat lower and resting at a good angle.

I cut off the heads of the rivets and punched them out allowing me to get rid of the middle piece and bolt the top rail of the tracks directly to rail that controls the front tilt.

Heres what the modified drivers tracks looks like next to the unmodified passenger tracks. I enlarged the hole on top rail of the track and used a bolt with some large washers and locknuts in place of the old hinge. I only have on bolt on each side but it has proven to be plent strong. I would have used two bolts but the other side doesnt line up quite that well.

After analyzing them closely I realized that the front tilt is not double hinging. Only the top rivets hinged, explaining the washers and grease between them, and no washers or grease on the bottom. So I saved alot of height by cutting out the middle piece.
The seats still raise and tilt just as they did before. Except the seat tracks sit level fully compressed instead of tilted. Which that is what I want since the manual tracks sit flat.
Another thing that I removed were two tabs that held on the seat belt receiver.

After cutting down the front of the tracks I worked on getting the tracks ready to be mounted to the seat pan.

I measured the holes in the seat pan and the are spaced perfectly with the holes of the front and rear most rivets on the tracks. The tracks are little narrower, but a file will make up the difference in width.

I drilled out the rivets for the legs. And the holes that the rivets used to go through will be the holes that bolt the seat tracks to the seat pan.

With the front legs removed.

Next is to finish up modifying the passenger tracks and then take a little height off the cushion frame.

The factory manual slider is only 1" tall. So far I stand to gain 1.5" of height.

1.5" is still too much for me. While I had the passenger seat out of the truck I was able to conclude that the cushion frames from my stock seats and the explorer seats are identical. Even the slide out leg rest and bolsters on the explorer seats did not differ the design of the cushion frame.

Now with this I now have an extra set of cushion frames to modify to further help my height-reduction.
While I had the seat out I also bolted up the power sliders to my seat just to make sure they bolt up. I only hand threaded 2 of the bolts so dont let the crookedness and misalignment fool you. They bolt up perfectly.

Here's a random shot of the explorer seat next to my stock seat, just for a comparison.

The next phase now is to modify the cushion frames to sit lower on the tracks. I already started modifying one of them and so far I have it sitting about half an inch lower, so I should be able to make my 1" or less goal.
Here they are before modification

The drivers seat came with bolster but since my factory cushions have no means to have side bolsters. And they were in the way of modifying the frame, so i cut off the rivets and punched the mechanism out.

After a couple incisions in the front.

The top of the seat tracks will be recessed into the cushion frame. I slowly bent and used a few hammers to reshape the frame. This allowed me to lose up to 3/4" of height.
This picture above was after a rough cut and only a little bending. I ended making the cut longer so the metal sits flat. You can also see the center strip was flattened out to accomodate a little extra space for the seat motor, since the tracks will be sitting up closer to the frame of the seat.
This picture isnt the best, but this is after the frame has been completely modified. The top of the tracks are now recessed into the frame, allowing me to loose some height.

After that I cleaned everything up and gave it some fresh paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 PM

Now the tracks have had the legs cut off, some height taken off of the front, and have been recessed into the lower seat frame. Now it's time to swap out the guts of the stock seat, and install the modded tracks, modded seat frame, explorer latch, wires, and plastic trim with the switches.

Stock frame removed from seat.

Time to swap over the latches..

F-series latch besides explorer latch

Modded frame installed into lower cushion.

Top rails of seat tracks bolted to the seat frame.

With all the wires, and lumbar motor and system hooked up. Now to close up the tracks and bolt the front hinging part back down. Then install seat into the truck!

A shot of the Explorer plastics and latch installed.

Seat ready to go in the truck.

Bolting the tracks down to the pan. Leaving the front hinge unbolted actually made bolting everything down a snap.

All bolted down and plugged in. *NOTE I used the factory lumbar plug to power the seats. The plugs match up perfectly. So I had to do ZERO wiring.* The seat works great. I basically repeated the process for the passenger side. Here's some finished shots.

On the drivers side there are two switches. They both trigger the motor but only the switch marked for lumbar actually airs up the lumbar bag. The front switch is a dummy for now. And you'll also notice the front switch is an older style switch. I later swapped that front switch out with another newer style switch to match.

The passenger side.

You can see the height difference between the jump seat isnt bad at all.

Last edited by 97Beast; 08-28-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Seats look great, thanks for the write up after I already did mine, do you still have the old leather seats you took apart to keep cloth?
Old 08-28-2011, 01:11 PM

Thanks, i would have gotten it together sooner if you asked me earlier.lol I figured I've gotten enough questions about them i'll finally get a writeup going. And i still have the seats unless my old man threw them out of his shop this week. The upholstery is trashed though. The leather was all cracked and ripped. If they were nicer I would definitely consider using them, because those seats are really comfy.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

looks awesome.... now you can finnaly get them inbetween seat places that are comfertably but cant get to
Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Interior Guru

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looks great John, Im glad I could provide you the idea. Im full of bad ideas for people LOL

You did an excellent job, and they look factory!

On a side note, if anyone attempts this, dont slide in and out of the truck, the handles are prone to breaking (the explorer style)
Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 AM

Thank you guys!

And yes you do have to be careful with those seat handles. One of the reasons why I added the grab handles. So I can try to prevent passengers from sliding out and destroying the handle and seat plastic.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome write-up

This will go a long way in helping me out when I start modding my explorer seats for the project truck.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:50 PM

Thanks Bill! Even though the writeup is lengthy there's still alot of little details, but when you have the seats in front of you it should give you a good idea on what needs to be done. It really wasnt that hard to do, but it took plenty of brainstorming and patience to get what i wanted to do.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Patience is key, and I'm putting a lot into the project truck. Hell, I spent an entire weekend getting everything "just right" with the IH water pump so it will fit how I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.