OBS Interior door hande repair - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS Interior door hande repair

Wuddup org.... I bought a 94 crew cab a couple weeks ago and both front doors had the sheet metal issue with the door handles. Having power windows, that means when you turn the truck off and reach for the handle, you gotta stick the keys back in, roll down the window, stick your arm out, open your door, roll the window back up, and then finally take the keys out again....i figured id get out there and fix it this morning and snap a few pics of the process. Please excuse my welding, im not used to sheet metal... lol

I'll start off by talking about the problem and its symptoms. The problem is the sheet metal in the door that supports the lions share of the weight when operating the interior door handle is rather weak, starts to crack/tear and then you may find that you need to pull juuuust a bit more to open your doors. This often results in more tearing/cracking of the sheet metal or it may begin to actually stress the handle to where it becomes the weakest point and breaks.

I had a bit of both in this truck, the drivers side handle was intact but the sheet metal was ripped to the point the handle assembly was no longer attached to the door. My passenger side sheet metal was cracked but still somewhat intact, but the door handle broke off. Luckily i have a crew cab and am just gonna use one of the rear door handles till i can make it to the junkyard.

Anyway, tools/materials needed will be the following:

3/8" ratchet
3/8" 3" extension
7/16" socket
5/16" socket
phillips screwdriver
welder/wire brush
sheet metal patches
Drill with bit (unsure of bit size, should be slightly bigger than the bolt you use the 7/16" socket to remove)

Start by taking off the door panels, luckily these older trucks havent hidden all the screws and they are pretty straightforward. Set your door panel aside in a safe place.

Using the 5/16" socket, remove the door handle and set it aside, then remove the door handle assembly using the 5/16" socket.

this was my driver's side: notice there is no mounting location for the handle assembly, as the sheet metal has torn away.

here is the passenger side, more intact, but cracked nonetheless.

now, some of you fellas may want to make a trip down to the steelyard for some drop at this point, but i happen to have some wrecked vehicles within a short walk, so with a pair of blunt edge pliers and a hammer, i was able to rip some scrap off, hammer it flat, and use it for my patches. The donor vehicle happens to be my old Durango R/T (RIP)

Here is the drivers side after the patching and wire brushing.... again, pardon my sheet metal work....

After placing the handle assembly up where it goes, you can see where to drill a new hole.

At his point you may want to spray some primer on it to prevent rust.

After the hole is drilled, you can slide the clip nut back on there, and re-install everything in reverse order.

You are no longer a prisoner of your truck!

Last edited by PhL0aTeR; 08-25-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM

We did somethin similar on my friend's brother's one fiddy, cept we welded the whole assembly on there and welded a steel handle in place of the easily broken factory plastic ones.

Good fab though
Old 08-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice write up, looks good, you can get door handle replacments at autozone btw.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM

Thanks, i didnt see one a thread like this around here, so i figured id show someone who might be a bit intimidated that its really not that bad.

i know it helps me to see pics of what im in for before i go tackle a job.

I'm headed to the junkyard soon to get some spare window motors, door handles and a few other parts to get my "new" ride up to snuff. I kept saying id get the door handle issue worked out after my trip to the junkyard, but as i drive it around, rolling down the window to get out is quite annoying.... lol
Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM

I couldn't tackle that kind of project, no welder nor welding skills at all, I would just find a whole door and swap it out.easier for me, hard part it realligning it.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM

dont be afraid to pick up one of those cheap HF welders and practice on some scrap. thats what this was done with. Amazingly enough the manual is rather helpful at providing some fundamental welding tips. I picked it up when it was like $95ish on sale. The benefit it has provided me has more than paid for itself.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 PM

What's up with the giant wing on your roof btw? You keeping that or gonna loose it eventually? Do you tow large trailers at all?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
What's up with the giant wing on your roof btw? You keeping that or gonna loose it eventually? Do you tow large trailers at all?
came with the truck... not sure if im gonna keep it or not, this truck is mainly going to be a tow rig with the occasional grocery trip. So yeah, im not one of those giuys with a dually for no apparent reason, my 5th wheel is 40' long and 14k loaded up.

my grandad used to have one on his OBS, and i have yet to ask him if he noticed any mpg improvement, i did notice that he only had it on while towing. I didnt like it at first, but its kinda growin on me....
Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 PM

If you have a goose that big, is leave it on. Looks good with a trailer back there, but goofy with out one.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
If you have a goose that big, is leave it on. Looks good with a trailer back there, but goofy with out one.
5th wheel....

here it is with my old rig.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.