Drivers side rear window motor, 1997 Crew Cab - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drivers side rear window motor, 1997 Crew Cab

The window motor on the drivers side rear went out on me. I am having trouble getting it out. The window is stuck about half-way down but that isn't restricting my access to the motor. Is there a secret or a trick to get these out? My wife is going to attempt to remove and replace it this weekend, I am currently deployed, and she does not want to take it to a shop. She is hard headed and convinced that she can do it by herself but the Haynes manual I have doesn't prove to be very helpful for her. Is there anywhere I can find a step by step approach, preferably with pictures, that I can send to here to help her out. I have searched and had no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to FiberglassEater
i dont have pictures but i found the easiest way to replace the motor was to cut the metal around where it mounted the holes in the doors are small as hell so i just cut the door just enough to get the motor out .
Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I thought about that, I just didn't want to comprimise the structural integrity of the door. I'll give it a shot though. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to FiberglassEater
i dont think it will .... your just citting a few pieces not very big .....and remember once that motor is out the window will wanna fall down so make sure u hold it or put a piece of wood under it ... i had to drive with a piece of wood for a day and it was ify since our strick ride so smooth
Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT! On the door itself...... where you see the motor their are small dimples on the door metal itself where the bolts are. you need to drill them to 1/2" holes. that will allow you to insert a 1/4" 7mm deep socket in to remove the bolts that hold the motor to the regulator. I know this is late but hope it helps
Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96F350KID View Post
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT! On the door itself...... where you see the motor their are small dimples on the door metal itself where the bolts are. you need to drill them to 1/2" holes. that will allow you to insert a 1/4" 7mm deep socket in to remove the bolts that hold the motor to the regulator. I know this is late but hope it helps
That's funny you say that. I haven't had the chance to do any cutting yet. In a couple of weeks I will. But, I was just reading somewhere else about drilling those holes. It didn't clarify if it was the same for the crew cabs, they were talking about the front doors of a regular cab. I have a couple of pictures that I will take a look at. If it works, I'll be sure to get plenty of pictures of my own and post them up with a write up.

Thanks.

Last edited by bigwilly440; 10-12-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 AM

I just did this to my dads truck but had the great opportunity to do it on both drivers and passenger side. There are three rivets holding the motor onto the door. Grind them off and then take the motor off. If you buy a new motor from a store it will come with new bolts to use instead of the rivets. Its real simple and took me 2 hours to do both sides.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have attached a picture of the door. Which rivets are you refering to?
Attached Thumbnails
Drivers side rear window motor, 1997 Crew Cab-cimg0042.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 AM

Look at the attached picture I sent and you will notice three circled rivet heads. Some people drill them out and others grind them. I grinded them off and it pretty much falls out after you unplug the cable from it. The new one will come with screws instead of rivets.
Attached Thumbnails
Drivers side rear window motor, 1997 Crew Cab-f250-door.jpg  
Old 10-20-2010, 05:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You friggin rock! That is going to make it a tone easier. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.