Seat foam replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Transmission or Injectors

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Seat foam replacement

After driving my truck for 2 years, and being more and more annoyed with the rough ride, and my back actually starting to hurt from driving the truck, I had to start to figure out what I could do to fix this.

I dreamed about getting different seats, thinking of making anything work. Then after going to the wreckers, there were no seats that were better than what I had, or if they were decent seats, they wanted at least $500 for a set. Since I'm cheap, I still needed to come up with something.

Then today, as I was looking through the classifieds, I found a set of 2nd row buckets from an Aerostar van. I called the guy and picked them up. $20 bucks for two 2nd row bucket seats.

So I get home with them, take the seat brackets off of the bottom of the Aerostar seats, and pull the bucket seat out of my truck. I figured at first that I would just swap the seats.

When I got my seat into the shop, and actually started looking at it, it was missing 2 springs from the wire grid underneath. Since I didn't really want to install the Aerostar seats in the truck (color wasn't quite the same, and they have the hole in the seat), I dismantled my seat, and started to see what I needed to do to fix it.

Once disassembled,I noticed that 1 spring was missing, and 3 of the rest of the springs were ready to tear through the steel from wear over the past 214000 miles. The spring from the centre was gone, and it looked like there should be 2 more springs in the centre of the grid for strength.

I fired up the welder, patched the spring wear points, built up where the springs wear against, and drilled 2 more holes. The one piece of steel rod at the one end of the grid was broken as well, so I replaced that.

Now for the amazing part. The second row seat foam from the aerostar is 95% the same as the foam from the 40/20/40 seat. It is thicker than the stock one, but I don't know how much thicker, as mine was pretty worn out. It is 1.5" - 2" thicker than the foam that was in my seat.

I reassembled the seat using the aerostar foam, the original fabric, and the repaired spring/grid assembly. What a difference. The lumbar support actually supports my lower back as opposed to just above it. The fabric actually looks full again on the side, as opposed to being folded over from getting/sliding out of the truck.

So to all the folks that are looking for new seats, you can probably just get away with refoaming what you have, and since the second row buckets usually dont get as much wear/use as a regular front seat in a van, the foam should be fairly easy to get from wreckers.

I will try and get some pictures of what the seats look like when my camera comes home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for a good post.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:15 PM

Yea my driver seat is a little lacking from the 307K miles of a 275lbs man that had the truck before me. I need to do something with mine.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Great post thanks! Problem? We just sold an old Aerostar for nothing?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:02 PM

I got my camera back and took some pictures. I still had the old foam, and I gutted the second Aerostar seat, just so it didn't take up so much room in the garage.

There main difference in the foam is the steel underneath the foam. there are rods in the base of each foam valley, for the hog rings to hold the upholstery in place. On the OBS seat, there is only 3 rings, where as on the aerostar, there were 3 in each valley. The valley for the OBS fabric does line up pretty close, but the valley is deeper on the Aerostar foam. I got around this by using cable ties instead of hog rings (yes, cheesy, I know, but it was all I could think of). I think I may have got the ties too tight, as the fabric seems to want to go into the valley more than originally.

Also, I am not sure why Ford would leave the gaps in the bottom of the foam. On the Aerostar foam, it is solid foam across the bottom, where on the OBS, there are pieces that were never foam. You can see where the grid wires have cut into the foam, therefore causing it to be lower yet.

The foam sits perfectly on the seat pan. Some of the foam that skirts around the edge needs to be trimmed for the screws to go through, and for the hoses/wires for the lumbar support to go through.

When I do the other seat ( I did the drivers seat, but the passenger seat is still stock) I think I will cut some foam pieces the size of the remaining valleys and glue them into place. I could feel the seat move where the rear most valley is.
Attached Thumbnails
Seat foam replacement-dsc06778-large-.jpg   Seat foam replacement-dsc06779-large-.jpg   Seat foam replacement-dsc06780-large-.jpg   Seat foam replacement-dsc06782-large-.jpg  

Last edited by lwillson; 09-13-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Here are some pictures of the seats as they look now. The drivers seat looks a lot more full, and is a LOT more comfortable to sit in.

When I do the passenger seat, I hope to take pictures along the way to make it easier to explain later.

Good luck to those on the quest for a better seat!
Attached Thumbnails
Seat foam replacement-dsc06783-large-medium-.jpg   Seat foam replacement-dsc06785-large-.jpg   Seat foam replacement-dsc06786-large-.jpg  
Old 09-14-2009, 04:17 PM

looks comfy though
Old 06-06-2010, 11:09 PM

pics for second seat?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:41 AM

Once I do the second seat, there will be plenty of pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.