im stumped - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Nuckin' Futz

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
im stumped

Im stumped...i am working on this truck at work which is dumbfounding me. I just replaced: injector o-rings, EOT sensor, turbo and some other minor stuff...this truck is a cold blooded b!@#$. It starts very hard and when its cold not at all. I don't know what else could be causing the problem...no codes changed out the Engine oil temp sensor and the intake air temp sensor is fine as well as the BARO sensor. If it has been running for a while and shut off it still starts hard. Glow plugs have been changed and the relay was thought to be the problem but its good...the only other thing i think it could be is the Fuel Bowl heater. What do you guys think...Oil has been changed fuel filter is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Nuckin' Futz

the fact that it passed a KOEO test and a KOER test tells me that the IPR is good and when the truck runs it runs strong which tells me the HPOP is ok.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

you check compression yet?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm not saying this is it, but read on...

I chased problems in my truck for four years to the tune of about $5000. It all came down to this: there were a few pinholes rusted into the top of the side fuel tank where the fuel level sender/pickup is. Air would get into the system and all fuel would drain back to the tank. It'd start hard, or not at all. Then if I'd shut it off, it wouldn't start again. I'd go through a starter every 9 months or less.

Like I said, it may not be your problem, but it's worth a look.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Nuckin' Futz

well i don't think the compression is bad...It runs strong and the blow by isn't bad at all its less than my truck and my truck is a champ. It still has Fuel in the filter bowl so i don't know if it is that...I had a buddy turn the key on and i stuck my hand down in the bowl to see if the heater was heating up and it wasn't so i am wondering if that is the problem...the part that confuses me about that though is that if the truck has been sitting in the shop or has been driving around it still won't start very easy when the engine is hot...The rings could be shot though because it is a fleet vehicle and im sure it just sits around and idles all day. The crappy part is that we don't have a Service manual for that model engine so im going of personal knowledge
Old 01-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Nuckin' Futz

the truck has only 57,000 miles on it so unless the engine is screwed its something small....ill get under there tomorrow and examine the tanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I can pretty much assure you the fuel heater wont be the problem unless it is malfunctioning and causing something else to screw up. My heater came apart so I removed it entirely and have now run for over a year with no heater installed. I plan to upgrade it to a SD heater eventually but I dont have any problems without it even when the temps are in the teens.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:41 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

have you checked fuel pressure ,heater wil not cause concern ,also ,battery
voltage is it spinning fast enough,starter drag ?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Try removing the chip and see what happens. My truck would start better and run better during warmup with it removed. Also i have found better starts with the 140v vs. 100v IDM's

Bill
Old 01-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Nuckin' Futz

no no this is a bare bones stock truck. There is no chip. I have a chip in my truck but my truck runs great. this is a truck that i am working on in the shop i work at. I can't really change the IDM's...im in the military and we can't exactly order parts based on whim...plus this truck doesn't have alot of money left on it that i can use to order parts and they add labor hours into that so labor=money. I need to figure this out because of this. Im going to check fuel pressure tomorrow and check out the tank...i didn't get a chance to check those today so ill do it tomorrow...thanks for the input though guys...keep throwing out ideas...like i said i need the ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.