Automatic trans problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2005, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Automatic trans problems

Replaced first trans on my 01 sd at 47000 mi. Now at 55000 the trans slipped last week while towing trailer up a grade. Anyone else having similar problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2005, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to turbotime Send a message via Skype™ to turbotime
trannys

Hey there!

Yeah, I bought my truck used at 38,000 miles and it had some tranny problems (overheated for NO reason and had some play in the gears)...after some research we figured out that the truck had been used to tow alot. But the interesting part is that we found out the only part that had a problem was 4th gear and that comes from hauling with overdrive on. Fortunatly, we are close friends with the head tranny mechanic for Ford, so he told us all the details. Said that these trannys absolutely can not be used to hual any wieght in overdrive. The sucky part about that is that it really limits your speed. For me, 70 is really rapped out. When we finally had the tranny rebuilt we had him put in a shift kit and a system thats sole purpose is to cool the tranny. I can vouch for it now because I have hauled over 20,00 lbs of trailer wieght down the road in some very hot weather. My most recient haul was a 600 mile trip, loaded with about 10,000lbs on a 103degree day, plus some amzing grades (I-5 all the way through Oregon) And you better believe that I am not going to let the next truck to go come along beat me up any grades Nothing stops me now! One thing is for sure, I have a solid tranny underneath me 'cause I have cut it NO slack.

Sucks bad to hear about the problems your having, I know what it takes out of the wallet to fix them!

Feel free to e-mail or IM me if you want more details!
Old 11-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

dont feel bad i had to replace a tranny at 38000, 2000 miles out of warranty on a 2001 f250 (the guy that had it befor me dident drive it alot)
and i had to pay for it now iam at 46000 and its ready to go again its sticking in 2nd gear and slipping in the high gears 3rd and overdrive when it goes iam probebly gonna go with a bd power performance transmission and torque converter iam running a banks 6 gun stacked on top of a super chips programer so i guess i cant really blame the tranny for going
Old 11-20-2005, 03:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gear Jammer
well f-250 man if you knew how to drive maybe that would help to. If you need lesson i give them on the weekends.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome to Powerstroke.org F250man!
From what I read on another post there Jammer maybe he could give you a pulling lesson after you give him that driving lesson.
LOL! Sorry man I had to!
Old 11-21-2005, 04:25 AM

that was a good one slinger
Old 11-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for lookin out slinger 7.3 will always rule of 6.0
Old 11-21-2005, 04:24 PM

well when you come up this weekend we are racing so we will see whats up
Old 11-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hi Guys: Thank you for making me look up some information. Your conversations and questions have made me take a new interest in my own trade. I tried to look up in Mitchell’s and Alldata today to find the correct oil pressure of a 4R100 trans. NOT LISTED – so I called the transmission shop that rebuilds all of our transmissions and asked what the oil pressure should be? After going through two technicians, no one new. I did learn that Hayden Corp has a list of trans. temps on there coolers which states that 175 degrees will get you 100,000 miles – 195 / 50,000 – 220 / 20,000 - 240 / 10,000 and any hotter is death to your trans. I also found TFT (trans. fluid temp sensor) chart by Ford, it list from 40 below to 267-302, the high reading has no spec. last spec listed is 231-266 that reads .8 to 1.5 ohm’s middle of the chart is 105-158 and the spec for that is 5-16 ohm’s. My belief is that about 150 degrees is about what will give you the best life of your transmission. The Mobil salesman was in today and I ask him for the spec. sheet on Delvac and trans. Fluid, keep watching and I will get you the right oil pressure at every condition and temp. By the way, I found out that our transmission has a CBV – that stands for cooler bypass valve and is mounted on the side of the trans. It also has a second line that hooks the outlet to the inlet incase the cooler plugs up. And there is only one outlet to test pressure at and it is called line pressure which is controlled by the PCM and even the A/C can change that pressure. As I get more info. I will give it to you. Happy bird day Mike OB P.S. As I said before "HEAT KILLS TRANSMISSION'S" If you live in a heavy bug area , blow out your radiator and make sure that the trans. fluid is going through the cooler. Get it warm by driving and then check the oil cooler lines going in and out of the radiator - the in should be the hot one.

Last edited by Mike OB; 11-22-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.