Not happy with EGT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not happy with EGT

Not real happy with my EGT's. Alliant stage one injectors that were installed about 60,000 miles ago by previous owner. I am running around 4 to 600 cruising around town, but even the slightest he'll will bump me to 900-1100 depending on how long the hill is. Going up a good-sized sustained hill I will have to lay back to about 40 mph to keep from hitting 1250 to 1300. I seem to be lacking low end boost. But that may be my imagination. Going up a moderate hill at 35 I might see 2-5 PSI. If I mash it getting on the freeway I will get 20-22 psi out of it. I have a 3 inch downpipe to a 4 inch exhaust with no catalytic converter, but does have a muffler. I recently replaced the up pipes and gaskets. Other than that nothing else I can think of. It does have a very slight lope at Idle. And I mean slight. But don't know if that is a fuel delivery issue that may contribute to the high EGT's or not. I am going to test for a boost leak this weekend, but would think I wouldn't be hitting 22 PSI if I had a leak, would I? Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had the same problem with my Swamps. Put the trailer on the back and I couldn't go up a hill over 30mph not because I didn't have enough power but because I was running at 1300 and was afraid to go any higher. I tested and had no leaks. I installed a 1.0 turbo exhaust housing and that helpt a lot. It got the boost up higher at lower RPM and got my temps back under control. Before I couldn't use anything but a stock tune towing and would still get too hot. Now I can use a tow tune and have to push on it to get it 1300. I think some different tunes will finish off my problem. I have even thought about a water meth system triggered by EGT so it would cool me off on the toughest hills.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

stage 1's? im not to big on injectors but more fuel means more heat , depending on what speed your going when im running around doing 40-45 im running at about 550-600 , you can run 1250 all day long , but over 1300 and your chancing it , if your truck is tuned your also gonna have high egt's.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:52 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Unless your EGT probe is post turbo what are you worried about?

4-600 cruising is normal. And you can run 1250 all day long as long as your probe is in the drivers side exhaust manifold.

Whose tuning and what turbo?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Unless your EGT probe is post turbo what are you worried about?

4-600 cruising is normal. And you can run 1250 all day long as long as your probe is in the drivers side exhaust manifold.

Whose tuning and what turbo?
Just looked back through the paperwork and it looks like the previous owner actually installed AA stock injectors. But, I am not actually worried as much as I feel like they jump to the high end of the scale to easily. When I hit 1250 going up a moderate hill at 50 mph unloaded before throttling back I wonder. As far as I know from the previous owner there is no chip, but I am having it re-flashed on Monday to make sure it is a stock program. Just gets tiring having to watch the gauge every time I take a hill. Even at a 5% grade my temps will go from 600 to 1100 in 1/25 of a mile.

Last edited by BeerBeer1911; 08-22-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:06 AM

I would check your up pipes for leaks and your exhaust manifolds. Also check for boost leaks. I know it's only a short distance but it's worth a look.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-22-2014, 03:39 PM

You have some sort of program to see 22psi

Stock is 17
Old 08-22-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_brad View Post
You have some sort of program to see 22psi

Stock is 17

If it's a manual it will hit 22 no problem on stock tuning. I know because I have two trucks with manuals and stock tuning that will hit 22 psi under the same conditions he said. In fact with a trailer on running it 3k rpm I can get my 97 to 25psi with a 1.0 housing.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.deere View Post
If it's a manual it will hit 22 no problem on stock tuning. I know because I have two trucks with manuals and stock tuning that will hit 22 psi under the same conditions he said. In fact with a trailer on running it 3k rpm I can get my 97 to 25psi with a 1.0 housing.
Its an automatic, still has the original E40D. Cant speak yet as to a tune, but it definitly flutters between 20 and 23 psi. I have a casual friend that owns a Ford shop who didnt believe me till he took it out. His thought was a chip, however I am certain it is not chipped. Tune, like I said, not sure of yet.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:39 PM

I don't have any experience with the autos but I know the PCM doesn't start to defuel until 22 psi. And if you can the rpm up in that 3 k range to be at full fuel they will boost that high
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.