Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Black soot at Exhaust brake and Turbo

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  pk64f100 
#1 ·
Is this black soot a problem at exhaust brake and turbo, maybe a leak or gasket broken? See pics, there is a noisey engine compartment.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Exhuast brake

The truck has some kind of exhaust brake on it because it has a switch inside cab that when I turn it on there is an exhaust brake that comes on and slows truck down. The PO said he had a Garrett exhaust brake installed on truck and I know that this did not come on truck from factory. Where would the exhasust brake be installed on truck, it is supossed to be a turbo mount type?

Attachments

#4 ·
Maybe this is the type of brake the PO owner installed

Maybe this is the type of exhaust brake the PO installed, he told me it was a turbo mount unit made by Garrett but since I am very new to diesels and PS which I bought he may have misled me. I looked into types and can take pics of whatever is needed for help so I can find out exactly what I do have. I do have some kind of EB and it is turned on by a toggle switch on dash when I turn it on it does take aprox 1-2 seconds to engage exhaust braking system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BD BrakeLoc Exhaust Brake
SKU: 1030755
1994 - 2003 Ford 7.3L Power Stroke, Manual Transmission

#5 ·
I just looked it up and the exhaust break uses the stock ebpv and is operated by the aftermarket controller. So you have a fully stock turbo that appears to have an exhaust leak on the exhaust housing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
I found this kit from Garrett

I found this kit from Garrett do you believe this will do the job the leak you believe is from the turbo not the compressor? Why do the Turbos always get rusty and the compressor no rust, I understand they are made out of diff metals but why aren't the Ford Turbos made from a metal that does not turn into a brown rusted piece of metal looks horrible and I can not believe it is a good thing. The Garrett compressor is I would assume alumnimnun and Turbo is steel, I appreciate your help,

Here is repair kit:

Ford PowerStroke 94-97 7.3L → 1994-97 7.3L Ford Powerstroke Replacement Turbos & Accessories → Garrett Turbo Rebuild Kit 94-97 7.3L Ford Powerstroke

Thanks

#7 ·
I found this kit from Garrett do you believe this will do the job the leak you believe is from the turbo not the compressor? Why do the Turbos always get rusty and the compressor no rust, I understand they are made out of diff metals but why aren't the Ford Turbos made from a metal that does not turn into a brown rusted piece of metal looks horrible and I can not believe it is a good thing. The Garrett compressor is I would assume alumnimnun and Turbo is steel, I appreciate your help,

Here is repair kit:

Ford PowerStroke 94-97 7.3L → 1994-97 7.3L Ford Powerstroke Replacement Turbos & Accessories → Garrett Turbo Rebuild Kit 94-97 7.3L Ford Powerstroke

Thanks
What you are calling the "turbo" is the turbine or exhaust housing and is made out of cast iron and is exposed to a lot of heat from the exhaust gases, so that is part of why it rusts quickly. The compressor side is made out of aluminum. The rust is normal and happens to all turbos, unless the cast iron is ceramic coated or painted.

I would use a 360 degree bearing kit like Barder Turbo sells. ONLINE STORE - Barder Turbo Service

Rusty

#8 ·
INSTALL- 360 degree bearing kit like Barder Turbo sells

Rusty,
How difficult is it to install these kits and is this the only thing you recommend? I really appreciate your help and info. Also am I in any danger of this causing damage or can it wait till I fix the clutch issues I am having at this time?

#9 ·
I am not an expert, but leaks do not typically fix themselves. I would install the rebuild kit and WW2. It's very simple to rebuild the turbo ONCE you get it out. Turbo removal can be pretty tough on these trucks. Use the search function or Google and there are tons of write ups with pictures.

Good luck!

Rusty

#10 ·
Thank you very much, I will give this one a try

#11 ·
It's hurting performance and you will have higher egt's but I don't think it would cause any damage. I would just keep an eye on it for now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
Will this also cause a smell in cabin if leaking from gasket or excessive noise coming from leaking seals? Thanks

#14 ·
It definitely makes sense now the truck had a smell of "oil, burnt grease or some kind of fuel) since I purchased it and no matter how many times I clean it or air out the smell comes back. I also think there is an issue with stock down pipe the PO installed anew exhaust system from down pipe back and at the bottom seal of down pipe it appears that there is an issue with it. I will be changing out down pipe to a 2 piece and installing a 5" Diamond eye kit w/ muffler. I will also be purchasing a 360 degree bearing kit like Barder Turbo sells and a WW2 to repair Turbo as suggested by other member. Thanks!

Reactions: sbluke55
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.