Clutch noises louder and help needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch noises louder and help needed

I dont know what to do, do I need to replace my clutch, it is really getting very loud and chattering more and more everyday. It seems to operate OK but I am very worried because of how loud it is becoming. If the clutch is working OK but just making noise is advisable to replace everything or just replace what is needed. I would have to take to shop, I have am not able to do this with my health right now. The previous owner said he put in a Southbend single disc but left stock flywheel I don't know what to believe with this guy so I need help.

I am looking at this kit fro Pheonix Friction, anyone use them and are they reputable?
Part / description:
07-501CK Solid Flywheel Conversion Clutch Kit: Ford 7.3L Diesel F250 F350 F450 Pickup - 13 in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 AM

If he left the stock flywheel it's dual mass and that is probably
Where all the noise is coming from. I've heard that the dual mass and single mass flywheels have different clutch bolt patterns. But not sure. I have had good luck with luk single mass conversions before as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Are you certain that it is either the flywheel or clutch making the noise. There's a lot going on down there, so I would want to make sure you're dealing with the right problem. Is there noise throughout driving, or only during certain times? Does the noise stop when you depress the clutch...or does it get worse??
The Following User Says Thank You to majorgator For This Useful Post:
pk64f100 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 AM

Remove the inspection plate and try to rotate the flywheel by hand. If it turns any significant amount, that means it's indeed the OEM dual-mass (aka "dumb-mass") flywheel, and the springs and other bits holding the two sections together are weak. The dual-mass is a ticking time bomb; if it completely lets go while you're underway, it can grenade the tranny case.

Do you hear an extra "clack" or "clunk" when you shut down the engine? That's also an indicator of the dual-mass flywheel near failure.

Not sure about bolt patterns, but the flywheel and clutch should always be matched, or at least known to be compatible with one another. Moreover, what the PO did, installing a new clutch and retaining the OEM DM flywheel (even if they're compatible), is about the stupidest way imaginable to service that part of the truck. Once you have the tranny out and are doing the clutch kit, it's a fool's errand not to swap to a single-mass.

Do you have any idea how many miles ago the PO had the Southbend installed?
The Following User Says Thank You to madpogue For This Useful Post:
pk64f100 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:51 PM

Noise goes away when

The noise goes away when I depress clutch in but it is noisy when in nuetral and it seems to be louder when I am taking off but since there is no muffler and the engine is a little noisy it hard to tell once underway at high speeds. It seems to operate OK every once in a while it is a little hard getting it into reverse and 2nd gear downshifting is hard unless going slowly and double clutching it. Thanks for your help
Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Time for a clutch and flywheel like others said, and new throwout bearing.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:04 PM

Previuos owner issues

Yes, the PO was a real dumb-*** the work he did not do and the work he did do was really crappy come to find out as I get into more and more of the truck. I have no idea why he would have left the OE flywheel in place, I sure would not have and I really believe that he had no idea what he was doing or he had someone working on his truck who had no idea what he was doing which is surprising since he worked for a local Dodge / Ford dealership as a tire changer, parts swapper and shop work, he sure is no mechanic. I have to fix the mess he made out of so many easy repairs (wiring, ignition, exhaust, exhaust and now this) its not funny. I do believe it is the clutch since the way it goes away when I depress clutch pedal it goes away.
I am on vacation and I am hoping to take it to a local mechanic near Bethany Beach Delaware where we are this week who can possibly help me. I have had 4 spinal surgeries and my days of getting under trucks removing trans, clutches and heavy work are over unless my son is handy to help me but he is off at college now.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:05 PM

Sounds like it's not fully disengaging and the throw out bearing is riding against the clutch fingers to me. Causing the bearing to start to fail and cause noise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to sbluke55 For This Useful Post:
pk64f100 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

make sure the pilot bearing is changed as well. it is often overlooked on DIY clutch replacements.
hopefully the input shaft bearing is ok on the trans, noisy in neutral with clutch engaged (pedal out) is a possible symptom, hopefully you don't need a rebuild
The Following User Says Thank You to Syndicated_cdn For This Useful Post:
pk64f100 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 03:16 PM

Input shaft and bearing

If it is input shaft bearing will the Kevlar bushing that south bend has available which I read will help even if the Input shaft has been scared and replaces the bearing, does anyone know anything about this and if it would in fact help? I am far from a mechanic, does it sound like I need a new clutch and and flywheel & trans rebuild? Would it be not smart of me to have the clutch, TO bearing and main seal replaced without rebuilding trans? I really can not afford a trans or for that matter a clutch and need to try to repair what is most needed at this time, for lack of a better word I am hurtin' for $$$ (college, camp and grandchildren the list goes on and on...)! Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows a good reasonable mechanic in Maryland / Delaware area let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.