New F-350 (to me) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New F-350 (to me)

Hey everybody! I am new here, so please forgive me if I mess this post up. Yesterday, I bought a 1996 F-350. This is my first diesel. It needs a lot of work, but I plan on turning this into a good project. Do y'all have any advice on maintenance/mods?
Attached Thumbnails
New F-350 (to me)-my-truck-.jpg   New F-350 (to me)-my-truck-2.jpg   New F-350 (to me)-my-truck-3.jpg   New F-350 (to me)-my-truck-4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 PM

hello and welcome, the 7.3 dosent like cold start and the moment you get 0celcius get a block heater trust me it will save lots of time and batterys, i recommend you get 3" down pipe and exhaust will help the engine breath bit easier and a air intake and chip will also help, diesel engines love heat and air. just don't let EGT get to hot , more air = better fuel economy and power. EGT= Exhaust gas temperature. these trucks are work horse and perform best wen it has a loaded not race trucks and there pricy wen it comes to big power. you can expect a 7.3 to live 500,000miles if well taken care of. oil change 3000-5000miles and wen you do a oil change do not forget to change fuel filter and oil filters, will help the engine last and be happy, the 7.3 biggest flaud is its fuel pump e-fuel is recommended helps pro vent big problems further on. hope this helps, and if you wana do a lift get a RSK lift will help smothen the ride
Old 08-13-2014, 05:06 PM

Exhaust tuner and intake are the best things to start with. There are plenty of reviews on all those things on this website. Search bar will be your best friend I have fixed my truck a few times just from what I read on this site good luck with her and when it comes down to it there will probably be a moment when you think twice about your purchase but at the end of the day you will love it
Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Doing a DIY 6637 air intake will be a big improvement as well as the above mentioned exhaust. Also (depending on what gauges it's already got) boost, pyro, and trans temp are nice to keep track of.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks you guys! I dont have to worry about the COLD starts since I live in Los Angeles. Judging from what I see under the truck, it looks like it has either a 3 or 4 inch exhaust already, though I am not sure about the down pipe. I am guessing that its not factory for these? From my little bit of research and talking to a few people, it seems the the 6637 intake is the way to go. For those intakes, where does the number 6637 come from? And what is a good kit to get, to install? And as for EGT's, what is a normal temp to see? The truck has a boost gauge, EGT gauge, and a trans temp gauge, all from auto meter. I plan on getting a new set of gauges fairly soon, these ones seem old, and im not sure how much I can trust them. The few mods I know of are; Banks Trans-command, K&N intake, the gauges, and an aftermarket head unit for the radio. I am still trying to find anything that isnt stock, but I am not 100% sure what to look for.

On a side note, I saw this article with a silver 95 F-250, and he had a few really cool mods that I am interested in, but have no idea where to start. He had a 4 gauge pillar pod, excursion steering wheel, crown vic a/c controller, a full power rear window (that is the one I want most), and a few other things.

And my last question for now is, how much does it usually cost to have all the fluids/filters changed, and possibly an inspection?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:58 PM

Just to add:
If in the event you ever do have an issue with your truck, do not take it into a professional. Do research as your problem will most likely be electrical (sensor, harness, IPR, PCM, etc).
I dont like Banks, I like my TS performance and have heard a lot of good from Gearhead tunes and DP Tuner.
Dont get too crazy with the power as the stock tranny really cant handle much.
Like the above mentioned, a straight pipe, 6637, and tuning is all you will need and you will be happy with the difference. Anything much more will drastically decrease the life span of your stock engine and transmission.
Let the truck warm up for about 5 minutes before taking off first start of the day.
As for maintenence heres my schedule:
Oil/filter change every 5000
Fuel filter change every 10000
Air filter change every 15000
And I plan on doing coolant at 20000 and probably trans fluid at the same time.
I dont have gauges in my OBS but judging from the 6.4 (in degrees Farenheit): 700 is normal for EGTs, 160 normal for trans and boost I really couldnt tell ya. Dont take my word on those temps as it is a whole different animal
To have every fluid and filter changed sounds like a $300+ job but try and do it yourself it will save a lot of money.
6637 is the Napa part number for that air filter. Get it at a Napa auto parts store or online. A lot of people use a PVC coupler to connect the stock intake tube to the 6637 there is no kit
Also, get rid of that stock downpipe.
Hope you found this post helpful and nice truck!

Last edited by luke7.3; 08-14-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have heard many things about banks, mostly bad. I really want to get rid of the trans command. When it comes to the transmission, I have an auto, so I have an E40D correct? For the exhaust, would having a dual straight pipe have any benefit over one? And would a normal exhaust shop be able to fabricate one for me? For the intake, since there is not kits, could I have the same shop make the pipe for me? The only reason I want to have all of the fluids/filters changed is so I know when they were last done, and can make a schedule like yours to follow from there. Is it a difficult thing to do on a truck this size? The only time I have ever done something like this was on my 1993 Camry. Finally, for the down pipe, would the exhaust shop be able to take care of that as well?

I am sorry if some of these are stupid questions, its just that this is a whole different world from what I am used to.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 PM

Youre not asking stupid questions, I asked a lot of these when I first bought my diesel.
You do have the E4OD
Theres no way to have true duals on the truck and I have yet to see someone go from downpipe to dual exhaust on a diesel truck, a lot do dual tips but that usually Ys off around the rear axle but no theres not really a benefit just looks cooler with dual tips
Im sure an exhaust shop would be glad to do an exhaust how you want it
The pipe used is PVC and I think its a 4 inch coupler but I dont remember. Get it at almost any hardware store. Mine had a K&N intake system previously installed and the 6637 slid over it
I have not changed coolant so cant answer for that fluid but fuek filter is real easy, oil is like any other, maybe eadier since u dont have to jack anything up, but trans fluid is a chore. YouTube is your best friend with mainaining your diesel
The downpipe is a very challenging task and usually requires some cutting of the firewall. Many have done it themselves but im not even gonna try. Probably gonna take it to RCD since theyre nearby. A 3" downpipe will run u around $100 online and it dependa on the shop whether or not they can install it
Old 08-14-2014, 10:38 PM

btw that silver truck is gerrett you talking about hes also done a 05-07 axle swap and he seam to recommend it, he post a bunch of how to for his mods, the EO4D is actually very tuff given the circumstance it all depends how you hit it like my truck is pumping 700fp-t and my tranny still good wile one of my frends all stock truck blue up his tranny, upgrading the cooling and getting a good torque converter will come a long way, comon turbo for upgraded stock is the D66 turbo and intercooler culd help if you plan on towing 6.0L inter cooler cools more then the 7.3 cooler banks and a few other places make pipes for the swap
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 PM

Riff raff diesel sells a 6637 kit. DIY is a little bit cheaper. Doing an inter cooler will help, this can be DIY as well. A good trans cooler if you tow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.