Front Diff Chatter and Axle Swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Diff Chatter and Axle Swap

I am going to try to keep this as short as I can, which means I may leave out info so let me know if you need more.

The problem is when I shift into 4 I get chatter from my front end which I assume is my leaky front diff. I have a long driveway to plow all winter so I need to fix this now before the snow starts.
My 1st Question is this:
  • My truck is a 96 250 7.3 with a C5 axle code 6250 (weight rating) - Ford full float Sterling 10.25 4.10 (single rear wheel) with limed slip diff.
  • I Have a donor truck that is a 94 5.8l gaser with a 35 axle code 6250 (weight rating) - Ford full float Sterling 10.25 4.10 (single rear wheel)

Can I swap them out? Does the 35's open rear axle apply to the front axle as well? If yes, would I notice a difference in 4WD?

My Second question is if any of you know of a place to buy a complete front end rebuild kit that contains everything from the tie rod ends, to bushings, to ball bearings, etc. I know this has been talked about before, but all of the links I find are now dead. If there is not a kit, does anyone have a list of the parts I should track down. I figure if I am going to have the axle off I should do this (it needs it).

Thanks,

Also let me know if I should have posted this elsewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You would be money ahead to put a d60 straight axle in it. 250s are twin I beam. Cost the same to do all the tie rod ends ball joints etc. but the 60 will last longer in between needing it all done. If you could find a donor truck. F350. To get all the parts from with 4:10 gears it's a day swap. I would go through it before you put the 60 in though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for responding.

From what I've seen around, that would cost me $150-300 to pick up a D60, it isn't really in the budget. That said, are there other benefits other than longevity? I haven't really read up on it because I never planned to pull my axle.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old96stroker View Post
From what I've seen around, that would cost me $150-300 to pick up a D60, it isn't really in the budget. That said, are there other benefits other than longevity? I haven't really read up on it because I never planned to pull my axle.

D60s are just a stronger axle that can take the abuse of the motor's weight along with plowing and off-roading. If you pull and rebuild the stock axle now you'll be farther behind when you end up doing an axle swap later anyways if you're going to be abusing it a lot

Old 08-11-2014, 06:17 PM

If you can get one for 300 it less. You are very lucky and should jump on it. I paid 500 for mine and them had to rebuild and re gear. I've heard if others paying up near 1k for an axle they had to go through. I think the 60 handles better as well as taking the abuse better and the weight of diesel. I totally understand the budget issues. But as a guy who has wasted plenty of money because it wasn't in the budget at the time and regretted it later. I would def do some research and put some serious consideration into the idea.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree, and your right, I just did a quick search and they range from 500-800. Found one about 90 Minutes from me for $200, but I have to do the front shackles, shocks, and all the steering from the tie rod on out. However, the one upside is, if not for a broken front diff I would never have considered pulling the front axle, but now that I will have done it once I will be a lot more prone to do it again. The donor truck is what I have, but after parting and scrapping the rest of the truck, I want to get another parts truck. Maybe I will be lucky and the next one will be a powerstroke and a 350!

I wish I could do it now, but I am planning on having this truck for a looooooong time. Ask me in 20 years, I plan to still have it.

Last edited by old96stroker; 08-12-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: wording
Old 08-12-2014, 04:09 PM

I hear ya on keeping it for a long time. I have more invested in both of mine than they are worth. I will have them for ever. Maybe in twenty years I can have both to where I want them to be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
axle swap, front end noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.