Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bad Turbo?

722 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  pk64f100 
#1 ·
I'm starting to wonder if my turbo is worn out.
There is very little play side to side. It does move, but you really have to pay attention when your moving it to notice.
The compressor wheel has typical high milage damage to the blades. Nothing major.

But, it doesn't sound healthy to me. The whistle isn't sharp and clear like on my past trucks. Kinda sounds like someone whistling through a large straw. There's also a slight smell of burning oil. Could be blow by (although my filler cap says otherwise) or I'm thinking turbo seals.

Truck also seems down on power, but only sometimes. One day it'll run like a raped ape while then next she seems sluggish.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Blow by and smell of burning oil question

This is my 1st turbo truck and it definitely smells like oil kinda of burnt or rease thick grase smell in cab mostly after it has been sitting not as noticable when driving (heck maybe I get used to it I don't know). I have no idea how to tell what is going on, my truck has an exhaust brake turbo mounted Garrett and oem flat pancake DP. It also is very loud at firewall, It is so loud I can not hear my phone ring or speak on a speaker phone. Anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.