Clutch and Flywheel questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch and Flywheel questions

I just bought this truck and the PO said he had installed a Southbend single disc clutch. He said the orig Dual mass flywheel is still in truck. The clutch has a loud sound / whine when in nuetral or when in gear, it does go away when you depress clutch. The PO said that the "INPUT SHAFT BEARING"is bad, does this sound right? If so and the clutch works fine and no issues with operations can I replace this ISB with a new Kevlar bushing and install a new flywheel to a new solid single flywheel and if so is there anything else I would need to change out when i did clutch I hate to buy a new clutch if not needed? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 04:53 PM

I was unaware the SB made clutch for the DMF.

Also, the clutch is different from a DMF and a SMF so you would need a new clutch too
Old 08-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Just venturing a guess but my thoughts are it probably has a smf already, the noise you hear could be gear rollover noise that becomes much more noticeable with a smf. Or could be a bad throw out bearing
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 PM

Throwout bearing

If it is a throwout bearing, can I change this and reuse the clutch and Flywheel if they are ok and I suspect i will have to ask members when I tackle this project. Any help would be great! Thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Easiest way to tell which flywheel you have is remove the inspection cover and look at the flywheel. Dual mass you will be able to see large springs in it and single mass will not have any
The Following User Says Thank You to erics diesel For This Useful Post:
pk64f100 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk64f100 View Post
If it is a throwout bearing, can I change this and reuse the clutch and Flywheel if they are ok and I suspect i will have to ask members when I tackle this project. Any help would be great! Thanks
It probably isn't the throwout bearing. If it was, there would be no noise with the clutch out, and it would become noisy when you put the clutch in. I would agree with the PO on input shaft bearing, but I think you are thinking of the pilot bearing, mounted in the end of the crank. The ISB is actually inside the transmission.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:11 AM

Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdeer View Post
Just venturing a guess but my thoughts are it probably has a smf already, the noise you hear could be gear rollover noise that becomes much more noticeable with a smf. Or could be a bad throw out bearing
It is pretty loud and very annoying the noise goes away when I depress couch pedal. It loud when in neutral or in gear. Only silent when pedal is pushed in. The previous owners says it is input shaft bearing what you think I read about replacing with a Kevlar bushing from SB which is the type of clutch he said he installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.