Glow Plug Relay question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow Plug Relay question

I read that possibly the issue with my truck may be a glow plug relay issue that could burn out the ECM. My truck has been periodically not turning off has happened 3-5 times in the past 2 weeks also could not turn on 1 time. My son believes this is an issue with my ground or glow plug relay which I am going to check tomorrow morning when light out at work. If this is the issue does it do it periodically for a while prior to going all out? Also i heard it can fry the ECM how would I check an ECM if this is what is going on? Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 08:59 PM

I haven't heard of the normal GPR staying "stuck" on, but maybe it could happen. I'm not counting guys that have replaced their GPR with a non-case isolated relay (where the relay base is grounded). In that case the relay will not turn off. Has the relay been replaced with a different relay? Do you have a performance chip in the PCM or other mods? Post up the year, model, and other pertinent details of your truck as that information can clue folks in to potential causes/solutions in many cases. Cheers!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:11 AM

1995 f350 7.3 with TS 6 position chip, baby swamps injectors and AB intake. I also have a Garrett exhaust brake and 4"-63/4" exhaust after down pipe. I hope this helps shed light on
Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 AM

The glow plug relay CAN fail in a way that the always-on terminal of the contact circuit shorts to the key-dependent power terminal of the coil circuit. The wire on that terminal is energized by the same fuse (fuse #22) that energizes the PCM. Thus a sneak circuit can form from that always-on terminal to the PCM, causing the engine to remain running when you turn the key back. This is an electromechanical failure of the relay, and has NO impact on the PCM; it does NOT "burn out" the PCM, unless perhaps if you leave the truck in this state indefinitely.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:48 PM

S it sounds like I only have to replace the glow plug relay switch? Is there a way I can test the relay to ensure it is bad? I sure appreciate your help, do you think it could be something else causing this the truck runs really, it does have a TS 6 pos chip? this is the only issue besides my clutch jdler arm bearing which I am trying to figure out what to do with that. The PO said he installed a Southbend clutch with single disc and orig stock flywheel do you know if I can just replace the bearing with that Kevlar bushing they say takes the place of the bearing and will help with scared ider arms also?
Old 08-05-2014, 03:36 PM

Simple test -- Start the truck up and get it good and warm. That will make it not reliant on the glow plugs to restart. Once it's warmed up, turn the key back, and if the engine keeps running, pull the #22 underhood fuse. This should kill the engine. Now, disconnect the always-on big terminal wire from the glow plug relay. Do it CAREFULLY, since it's always energized. Tape off the wire terminal so it doesn't short to ground. Now put the #22 fuse back in and start the truck again, and turn the key back. Cross finger, the engine will cut when you turn the key. If so, that suggests that your GP relay has indeed failed in this way.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:45 PM

Thanks I will try this, is the GPR under the cover where the fuel filter is? I was looking a little today at work but too long busy work day
Old 08-05-2014, 04:11 PM

Delhi Glow Plug relay

Is the Delphi GPR a good replace,ent part or should I just get Ford MC? The Ford MC is like $85
Old 08-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Yes, it's under the "Darth Vader" cover.

Two most recommended relays are the Stancor 586-902, and the Western Plow relay.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:34 PM

What a PITA, I was reading about kits that get rid of the fuel bowl set up anf the GPR set up, are these worth doing or just leave it all stock? My son read a thread that said the ECU gets fried from the GPR going bad and he is convinced that the ECU is shot. Let me ask you if the ECU was fried how could it be working as well as it does, it has only not shut off one time in the past 3 days? Is there a way to check the ECU, would like an advance auto be able to plug in their code machine and check the computer? Or would it give us codes on the GPR? Or any other possible codes? thanksThanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.