Front Crankshaft Seal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 AM
Transmission or Injectors

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Front Crankshaft Seal

Good Day,

I think I am going to change my front crank seal. Its been dripping pretty good for a while now, and its time to close off that leak.

Are there any tricks for doing it? Anything to look out for?

According to the service manual, it looks pretty straight forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 AM
International Threat

I'll be doing two this Sunday... I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 AM

I ordered the crank seal and the gasket and oring set to do the oil cooler. They should all be here tomorrow. Theoretically, tomorrow night I should be back together.

Tonight I plan to clean up the mess the oil cooler left when I took it off. It was quite the surprise when I let the last bolt out of the filter end.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:31 AM

I got the parts yesterday, and got it installed last night. I had to make a tool for installing the crank seal, and it worked out pretty easy.

The tool was pretty simple, and worked surprisingly well. The hardest part of it was getting something the same size as the crank seal for pressing it into the engine. I found that the top idler pulley was the same size as the crank seal. I had the pulley off anyways because I was changing the bearing in it.

I started with a piece of 16mm threaded rod about 6-8" long. It can probably be shorter, but I wasnt really paying attention to how much room would actually be there because I had the rad out. I threaded the rod into the crankshaft, then slipped the crank seal over it, then the idler pulley, then a piece of plywood with a hole cut in it (substitute anything larger than 4"diameter, I had a piece of plywood kicking around, so thats what I used), then a washer and the nut. Then just tighten the nut, and it will press the seal into the engine.

Since I didnt have a puller to get the bearing sleeve off of the Harmonic Balancer, I used a chisel and kept scoring it downwards until it snapped. If you heat up the new sleeve, before installing it, it will expand enough to make installing it a lot easier

I also needed to use the threaded rod for the harmonic balancer, as the bolt that holds it in isnt quite long enough to reach the crankshaft when the balancer just sits on the crankshaft. I used a 3/4" nut over the threaded rod, plus the balancer washer and another washer to make up the space difference from the outside edge of the balancer to the middle of it. Tightened up the nut again, and the balancer was on. Removed the threaded rod, installed the bolt and washer, and everything was back together.

I attached a picture of my very basic seal installer. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Front Crankshaft Seal-crank-seal-installer.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the post! I am looking to do this and wasn't quite sure how it would all play out. How did you pull the balancing wheel off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.