Free Mods? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Free Mods?

I have a confirmed (Aug. 1998) 99 F-350, cc, 4x4, with only a K&N intake. I have the superchips programmer and want to know what else I can do till I can afford to get exhaust, larger turbo, and like an edge juice. I've been told to turn the wastegate in 2 turns to preload it, but w/o a boost gauge I am kind of leary about this. Also what about a manual boost controller with a gauge? But how much boost can my turbo efficiently produce, and my motor safely handle?

Thank you

Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 86hatch For This Useful Post:
HVAC SuperTech (01-19-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the only recommended mod that you should be doing without gauges is exhaust. Open it up and let it breeeeaaathhhh! Go to bankspower.com and read their explaination on how to create power.

Do the exhaust, get boost AND Pyro gauges. Boost controllers are USELESS without gauges.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Harley Truck
Might have to find a flow chart for the stock turbo to see how much boost is too much. I also wondered if a MBC is do-able. seems like a boost gauge and a MBC could do more, for less $. anybody know?
Old 10-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 97 4x4 SC LWB and added the Banks Stinger plus. I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE. Seems like all it does is makes a lot of smoke. I pull a 10k camper (give er take after the wife puts the entire house in it) and it pulls ok but the trans control locks up the torque converter and holds it in gear til the rpms drop way down b4 it shifts and the whole truck shakes like you are driving a stick shift and forgot to down shift. It does this unloaded too. It will not down shift from overdrive (unloaded) until 34 MPH. By the time it does you done cracked your teeth from the shaking and then the "quick turbo" kicks in and she rolls the smoke.

I guess the kit wasn't what I expected. I would like to put it on a dyno and see if it has the power Mr. Banks claims.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:15 PM

Hey I have a 1997 Crew Cab LB 4x4 7.3 PS, installed a WSP full exhaust, its a straight pipe no muffler or cat, just pipe. It is a 3 inch downpipe that turns into a 4 inch pipe all the way back from there. I have the K&N FIPK system, and i have the Edge Evolution. It sounds incredible. I thought it would be loud but all you hear is the turbo. It sounds like a big rig. Right now it is set on the first setting which is Towing and its great. A little bit of smoke but it will pull a house down. On the third setting Extreme it will smoke the tires all the way through second gear. Its great. Specially smokin those little rice rockets!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is the edge a plug n play piece? Can it be stacked with the Banks Chip?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Yeah its a plug and play thing. It hooks right up to the OBDII connection under the dash. Easy its like a little Gameboy. Yeah it will recognize the other chips, it is stackable. Thats what i have coming next the Banks chip.
I am very happy with it. Its amazing what a difference.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question best single upgrade

i have a 95 powerstroke.what is the single best upgrade avalibe at a reasonable price,can you help? thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
The single best things you can do on a budget are intake and exhaust. You won't see a huge power increase but you will notice an increase in economy and pave the way for future mods that require these to be effective and not potentially destructive.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:42 PM

I recently purchased a 96 F250 with 300,000 miles. I have to say that the 3" downpipe is an absolute must. Mine is a BullyDog $150 thru Summit. The throttle response change was unbelievable(although still diesel). I was so fed up with the sluggish response that I was thinking of selling it. Yes it made that much of a difference. It creates more boost in 1/2 the time as before. Just take a look at the stock pipe on those models. It goes flat right after the turbo. If you call Banks they will send you a pamplet that shows the stock pipe. The Banks chip didnt hurt either. Im not sure, if its the best, but it helped a lot. The truck is actually fun to drive now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.