Im lost here: Need suggestions on turbos... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Im lost here: Need suggestions on turbos...

So my cousin has a 97 with baby swamps and then normal 6pos chip. I think its a TS. ( no custom tunes )...

He wants to go up to a D66 for now, as the baby swamps on the TS chip tuning it pretty smokey. Plus a little more power is a plus too.

I was doing some browsing and I see that there is a DIY66 and the Beans D66. Any other options out there? I dont know where to start looking at for him, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks guys.

BTW Im a 6.0 guys, so this is all new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 02:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
for a stright drop in D66 is about the only option (I've got a E99 and in the same boat). Unless you either 1. update to all SD parts (about 2k) or 2. go all out with a "normal" mount t3/t4 type set-up such as the h2e whitch has its own pedistal (3K+ depending on brand/type).

but more important fact he/you are missing is to get custom tunes and that'll be more HP and less smoke
Old 07-28-2014, 02:55 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
This^^^^^^

But drop in easy is beans d66, barder has a DIY 66mm turbo, and there is also another company I can't remember the name of
Old 07-28-2014, 03:08 PM

Thanks guys,
It seems like you have to drop the trans to install a turbo? Or maybe its easier to drop the trans? lol.... I cna have my 6.0 turbo out in about 15-20 mins no problem.

Who's tunes should he get?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:48 PM

1995 Babby Swamps and TS 6 pos

I have a 95 with Baby Swamps, TS 6 pos and it does not smoke and runs very well real strong especially when Turbo kicks in. It is very smooth and I believe it has the 150/146 injectors if I am not mistaken. I keep it on 6, the PO said he puts it in #1 when towing and #2 when cold outside to start other than that it stays on #6. The rebuilt motor was 100,000 miles ago. Truck also has a A&B intake. I hope that helps sounds like we have similar set ups.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM

Okay maybe he just needs better tunes first. I know how critical tunes are for the 6.0s... I wouldnt think TS would ship their switch with terrible tunes. Anyway thanks all.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:28 AM

6 position switch and running issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
Okay maybe he just needs better tunes first. I know how critical tunes are for the 6.0s... I wouldnt think TS would ship their switch with terrible tunes. Anyway thanks all.
Chech the contacts where chip is wired to computer very easy if there is a connection that is not perfect and needs to be cleaned this possibly could cause what is happening. I wish I knew more buy brand new to the 7.3 diesel community. Best of luck!! I have one question how is the 6 pos switch mounted on his truck could you send me pics? Thank you!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So I'm running a 66mm turbo thats made by PDR Diesel, It came with a 1.0 housing for a quicker spool. It cleaned up my Baby swamps, even with good tuning (swamps and live tuned customs) It was smokey and hot with the stock TP38, the 66mm charger cured this big time. Simple bolt in, 360 thrust bearing, 1.0 exhaust housing, Billet Compressor Wheel. 66/88 Comp wheel.
All for $100 less than a Bean D66. for a better turbo.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Baby swamps aren't enough to spin a 66 properly. Rebuild his stock turbo with a WWE and new gearhead tunes...... just my opinion
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I dont have any issues lighting my 66mm with my Babies, 1.0 Housing helps with that though I'm sure.

Also the blade pattern on the compressor wheel will also dictate the results. If you have a 11+0 style billet wheel then you will be taking a step backwards when compared with a 6+6 syle billet wheel or cast wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.