Engine & Trans Temps While Towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine & Trans Temps While Towing

This weekend when hauling my travel trailer (approx 4500 lbs), I noticed that the engine and trans temp was climbing higher than usual. I went most of the way on relatively flat ground between 55 to 60 MPH with very little stopping and accelerating. The outside temp was probably 95 degrees. The engine temp at the highest was reading right between the "A" and the "L" in (normAL), but normally stayed between the "M" and the "A" (norMAl). The trans temp at the highest was around 230 degrees, but usually stayed 210-220. On hot days like that, my engine temp usually stays below the "M" and the trans ranges between 180-195 when not towing.

Should these towing temp ranges be of any concern? The truck didn't exhibit any problematic signs while underway. Granted, this was the hottest day I've towed anything heavy, but I've just never seen the temps go that high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 12:58 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Look into a larger Trans cooler, you should be able to keep it below 210 all the time with those weights, as far as coolant temp, get a hose and spray the radiator off, you may have dirt between the rad/condensor keeping it from being as efficient as it should be
Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Serving Our Country!

Larger trans. cooler is the way to go, but your engine temp does seem high. I tow my trailer (14k lbs) up grades in 90 degree heat and my engine temp never gets above the M, plus my radiator has a 6.0 trans cooler and an intercooler in front of it. What were your EGT's running? I ran my trans temp up to 240 once, after I added the 6.0 cooler it hasn't broken 200.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Look into a larger Trans cooler, you should be able to keep it below 210 all the time
Quote:
Larger trans. cooler is the way to go
Sure, that'll work. But at such a small weight and strain, why won't the stock trans cooler work? I've hauled heavier before on my flatbed without similar issues.
Quote:
What were your EGT's running?
These were anywhere between 800 to 1000 while under power. If dead flat for a while, it would drop down to around 600. Of course, under acceleration I'd make it up to 1200 or so.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

with your engine temp so high, it might have been making your trans temp go even higher since it passes through the radiator then the trans cooler. But i could be way off
Old 07-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
with your engine temp so high, it might have been making your trans temp go even higher since it passes through the radiator then the trans cooler. But i could be way off
Yes, that's true, the 2 run together. There is some correlation in temps. When the engine temp falls, the trans temp falls as well.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had to replace the radiator on my 95 F350 because where the tranny fluid ran through the radiator I only had 35% open. New radiator now and no tranny temps over 170 here in AZ. In fact I had it up to freeway speeds yesterday when ambient temp was 105 and my tranny never went over 170.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
I had to replace the radiator on my 95 F350 because where the tranny fluid ran through the radiator I only had 35% open
There ya go, throwing more ideas into my already mod-filled mind LOL
Seriously, though, how were you able to tell that. Did you have to disassemble and get a visual? That makes plenty of sense regarding higher temps.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No. I had my mechanic check it out when I was having high temps in the tranny gauge. There's a gauge he hooked to the line that gave the reading of 35%. I don't know the name of it but maybe some of the hardcore diesel people on here can tell you.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

To verify, you're not running the 203 degree thermostat, correct?

The transmission temps are a bit high, but the engine temp is within reasonable range. You might consider replacing the thermostat at some point, since they often fail in a "Doesn't open quite as far as it should" manner, but that's usually best done with a water pump since the thermostat bolts seize into the water pump and snap off with alarming regularity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.