Child seat in OBS question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Child seat in OBS question...

Ok, posting this over on powerstrokearmy too just for maximum responses.

The wife and I don't have any kiddos yet, but plan to start trying soon. I have a 97 RC stroke, that is swiftly becoming not as practical as it was when it was just me. I have it posted a couple places in the hopes to sell or trade and also WTB ads for a 4 door.

I have found a couple of 4 doors that are worth looking at but are a pretty good distance away, I have however locally found a couple of very good deals on nice extended cabs.

My question is anyone out there putting child seats in extended cabs? Is it really worth the trouble, or should I hold out for a 4 door? We have 2 midsize 4 door cars, not like the truck is the only vehicle. If I find a truck I will sell mine and my fusion, then shop for a new SUV for my wife and trade her Malibu.

I'm real curious to see if its a bad idea or not to have an extended cab as MY only vehicle to haul a family of 3 in.

Any help/input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
once their feet hang off the end of the seat an extended cab will be a PIA, so you are good until about 2yrs old.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy_GD For This Useful Post:
LowFlying7Three (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Get a Ford Flex the most comfortable and best car I ever owned. When we want another car will replace our 2010 Flex with a newer one.
The Following User Says Thank You to williep13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 10:03 AM

If you get one of the rear facing bigger carseats that can be used as an infant up to about 2years old, the carseat won't fit in an extended cab without the passenger seat being fully forward and not reclined at all. At least this was the case in my 05 ECLB. It was always such a PITA and the front passenger was never comfortable. If your stuck on getting another truck I would seriously consider a full 4 door truck. I went from a 05 ECLB 6.0 to an 08 CCSB 6.4 shortly after my little girl was born and it makes life so much easier with the extra room for everyone. Just my
The Following User Says Thank You to bmoore1488 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the input. I really should probably look for a newer truck. But I'm just one of those hung up in the obs style. If we weren't working on the house we own, looking for land then eventually building, I'd hunt for a 08-up probably. But we are gonna spend the big bucks on something for her. I just have to start seriously considering a roomier truck for when a car/SUV won't do. I tried turning her onto an excursion, but she's not comfortable in something that big. Still trying though...
Old 07-28-2014, 10:53 AM

Get a excursion. You can drive that and she can use the cars. Eventually she'll get used to tge Excursion.

If not get a 4 door. In my Excursion a rear facing car seat was only a few inches away from the front seat. I can imagine what a extended cab would be like!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Save yourself the head ache and get what momma wants... then keep your rig and one of the beaters.

If yall need to go somewhere take her new ride. Keep plenty of rental car insurance and a warranty on her ride.

The last thing you want is preggo momma driving something she doesnt like. #endoftheworld.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
The last thing you want is preggo momma driving something she doesnt like. #endoftheworld.
10/4 on that
The Following User Says Thank You to LowFlying7Three For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (07-28-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Find a 4 door. My kid is 3 now. His first long road trip was with me to pick it up. He loves riding in the back. Ext cab rigs are a pia to get kids in and out of constantly.
I agree a flex is awesome for room. But I get the whole cost issue. I had bought my gt500 2 weeks before I found out she was preggo. Between that and buying a new house my budget was not much.

Anyway kind of a ramble but hold out for a 4door.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Keep your current truck and just put the car seat in the middle, I have 4 kids and the youngest, 3 yrs old now, has been riding in his car seat in the front since he was 1. the truck is plenty wide enough for 2 adults and a car seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.