Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I Saw a 6.0 Turbo on a 7.3

208K views 278 replies 134 participants last post by  ianstew 
#1 · (Edited)
Ran into a guy at Ritchie Bros heavy equipment auction in orlando fl today, and he has a rather interesting setup on his 97 350. he has a 6.0 liter turbo on his 7.3. and this thing sounds awesome! he was hauling a 35 ft gooseneck loaded with two bobcat t-190's and a 2 ton roller.. commented on how heavy he was loaded and he started talking bout his truck. We were waiting in line for about two hours, and he went into great detail about how he did it. Him and his brother figured out some sort of management system for the variable vane turbo. he said it's tied to the PCM, IDM, and the tuner he has. He also has larger sticks. has anyone else ever heard of this before? I always thought that it couldn't be done, but it definately was working. it produced boost coming off idle almost, just like a six liter does. had the selenoid controller thing for the vanes and everything. i told him he should patent that thing. says he's been running it for a bout 20k miles with no problems, but took him about a year to perfect. Sounds pretty cool too, noisy like a 7.3 but with that six liter whistle. i've got some video on my camera phone, i just have to figure out how to post it to you tube.

#4 ·
trying to get vids up. Told the guy about the org....and said he should def. post on here. Also told him he should seriously look into marketing that thing.

#11 ·
Hmm, y'all wanna see a 6.0 VV turbo on an old PSD? I gotta open up my garage tonight then and snap some pictures.

I'm surprised y'all haven't heard of this. It's a common modification and sure helps a lot in the low end where the stocker turbos lack (no boost). Just ask Bill, he drove my truck and he was grinning from ear to ear. :lol:

We also want to make a driveby video because the '03 unit sounds especially sweet (different than the '04).

Lou

#19 ·
Bill has told me about your truck, said its a pretty sweet sounding rig. :thumb:

#12 ·
Yea, I was gonna say, there are a few people that I know of running that setup. I have no idea how they do it though...

#14 ·
Id love to see vids of that truck!:boldblue:

#16 ·
Like to know how what? How it was installed? Or how it's operated?

The installation is pretty straight forward but requires some fabrication and welding, of course.

The turbo vanes on the 6-liter trucks are operated by the PCM. And since ours don't have that functionality, a separate controller has to be designed.

One can either make a "fixed" controller to keep the vanes closed at a preset percentage (but that completely defeats the purpose of the vanes, you might just WELD them in place then :) ).
Or one can use a variable controller that opens and closes the turbo vanes to allow more or less boost to build up. That would of course require several different inputs (boost, RPM, load, backpressure, oil temp etc).

Hope this helps.
Lou

#20 ·
I knew you could put a vvt on a 7.3, but to actually get the vanes to work is a whole nother ball of wax. Do your variable vanes work? I jyust want to know how it's done, cuz i thought it was darn near impossible to get them to work right, given the spider web of sensors you need. Will wotk on video when i get home from work 2 nite.

#28 ·
Id like to know more about the controller.

#31 ·
Right now, it's just a simple analog circuit (TLC071 with DRV103) that drives the vanes based on the boost signal. It takes less than an hour to build but it's just a temporary controller that I'm using, it sure isn't perfect.

I need to finish the digital controller with the Craporola processor which would have the advantage of programmability and if there is enough interest, I might build them for y'all.

Lou

#29 ·
wanting to learn more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.