Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I Saw a 6.0 Turbo on a 7.3

208K views 278 replies 134 participants last post by  ianstew 
#1 · (Edited)
Ran into a guy at Ritchie Bros heavy equipment auction in orlando fl today, and he has a rather interesting setup on his 97 350. he has a 6.0 liter turbo on his 7.3. and this thing sounds awesome! he was hauling a 35 ft gooseneck loaded with two bobcat t-190's and a 2 ton roller.. commented on how heavy he was loaded and he started talking bout his truck. We were waiting in line for about two hours, and he went into great detail about how he did it. Him and his brother figured out some sort of management system for the variable vane turbo. he said it's tied to the PCM, IDM, and the tuner he has. He also has larger sticks. has anyone else ever heard of this before? I always thought that it couldn't be done, but it definately was working. it produced boost coming off idle almost, just like a six liter does. had the selenoid controller thing for the vanes and everything. i told him he should patent that thing. says he's been running it for a bout 20k miles with no problems, but took him about a year to perfect. Sounds pretty cool too, noisy like a 7.3 but with that six liter whistle. i've got some video on my camera phone, i just have to figure out how to post it to you tube.

#61 ·
Are you monitoring your back pressure? I am working on a 6.0 turbo setup only I will run the 6.0 turbo secondary to the stock turbo. I have the microprocessor built and most of the programing done. Where did you get the wiring pigtail for the solenoid? P/N?
Cool setup, Should be great when You get it controlled properly.

STROKER

#62 ·
That sounds like a nice project. So the stock turbo will be feeding the 6.0L turbo? What numbers are you expecting?

I am not monitoring the backpressure right now but you can feel when you're restricting the exhaust too much, the power just starts dropping off. I have it dialed in just right so I'm not worried about the backpressure too much.
But the microprocessor controller I have in the works reads the backpressure and compensates for it if necessary. Same with other input variables. Can't remember them all, about 5 of them or so.

My friend had the pigtail lying around so I just soldered some wires on, sorry no P/N. I'm sure the dealership parts counter could find out, though.

Lou

#64 ·
:popcorn2::popcorn2:

#70 ·
subscribed...'tis sunday

#73 ·
very intersting....:nod: :popcorn2::popcorn2:

I do wonder what kind of boost that it makes compared to the OBS turbo and yes also what kind of HP and TQ gains to you see with this turbo.... :nod: and yes I wanna see that video also:gun:

#74 ·
Well.......we're waiting. Some are like this :dunno: others :woohoo: more are doing this :popcorn2: a few are :boldblue:and more than 1 are thinking :worthless[1]:

Craig

#76 ·
still no video?

#78 ·
subscribed

#79 ·
What's the deal with everyone sayin "subscribed" ? What is it that your sucribing too ? WHAT IM I MISSING OUT ON ???? :eek:hnoes: :eek:hnoes:

And it is sunday...:woohoo: :popcorn2:

#168 ·
Nice! I knew eventually someone was going to figure it out.

Cuz people are too lazy to explore all of the buttons and learn how the forum works. Clicking "thread tools" and "subscribe to this thread" cuts down on worthless "subscribing" posts that fill up a page.

#87 ·
W............a...........i.............t..............i.............n................g...........

#99 ·
your jus mad the browns or the bengals arent in it. GO STEELERS!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.