Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I Saw a 6.0 Turbo on a 7.3

208K views 278 replies 134 participants last post by  ianstew 
#1 · (Edited)
Ran into a guy at Ritchie Bros heavy equipment auction in orlando fl today, and he has a rather interesting setup on his 97 350. he has a 6.0 liter turbo on his 7.3. and this thing sounds awesome! he was hauling a 35 ft gooseneck loaded with two bobcat t-190's and a 2 ton roller.. commented on how heavy he was loaded and he started talking bout his truck. We were waiting in line for about two hours, and he went into great detail about how he did it. Him and his brother figured out some sort of management system for the variable vane turbo. he said it's tied to the PCM, IDM, and the tuner he has. He also has larger sticks. has anyone else ever heard of this before? I always thought that it couldn't be done, but it definately was working. it produced boost coming off idle almost, just like a six liter does. had the selenoid controller thing for the vanes and everything. i told him he should patent that thing. says he's been running it for a bout 20k miles with no problems, but took him about a year to perfect. Sounds pretty cool too, noisy like a 7.3 but with that six liter whistle. i've got some video on my camera phone, i just have to figure out how to post it to you tube.

#36 ·
Hey Lou... welcome to Powerstroke.org.

I'm definately interested here.... I'm already thinking about what could be done with tuning with the vgt tech on a 7.3... might be fun for pulling in classes that require a bone stock turbo, but do allow swapping between manufacturer years.

#41 ·
Can't Wait !!! I want in on this !! :shots: :popcorn2: :icon_ford:

#42 ·
I am interested in the interworkings of the system and how one might be able to tune the sensitivity of the turbo once installed. I would definately look into making this mod if I keep my 1996. The sensitivity adjustment would be very nice for daily drivability and would make foe awesome smoke potential if one turned the turbo sens down and had some injectors.
This would also provide more air to reduce egts.
Its a win win.

#45 ·
I'm trying to get the video up of the guy's truck. i took the video with my company nextel phone, and we don't have messaging. I don't know of another way, i tried swapping out the sim card for a buddies who has messaging but i still cant get it to go through. Any ideas??????

#46 ·
I know some of you, gentlemen, want to believe but would also like proof that I'm not just yanking your chain. (I understand, I myself would demand proof)

I took two pictures for you under the hood tonight. They clearly show the oil feed and the vane control solenoid of the 6.0L turbo. I hope that satisfies everybody's curiosity.

We'll have a video for you on Sunday.

The 6.0 turbo sure is sweet, it lets you build boost whenever you want/need it.
I cannot, of course, take all the credit, my friend did most of the fabricating and welding work while I worked on the electrical etc. But it's a sweet setup, I should have done this sooner.

Lou

Attachments

#48 ·
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
i posted last week to see if a 6.0 turbo off an international truck would be the same as a psd, but no responses. i wanted to know for this reason. i will try to compare the one in stock to your photo. we definently need some detail pics, and guide to do this mod!!!!!!!

#51 ·
that is so sick. i want i want haha

#52 ·
Sunday's commin soon !!!! :woot: :icon_ford:

#58 ·
cant wait to see the videos sounds like an awesome setup

#68 ·
it would be an absolute monster with 230 hybrids and and 6.0 IC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.