Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod: - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod:

I am a newbie here and new to the Powerstroke community. Always been a Cummins guy and had the newer ones but don't like car payments but really like driving a diesel. I have always heard great things about the 7.3L so I thought I would give it a chance.

Anyways, I have a new found love for the 7.3L and picked up this 95 F350 Dually only 153K miles Can you anyone tell me what things to look for with these and where I could spend my money wisely to get better MPG? I was going to start with an air filter and downpipe and possibly the efuel in the near future.

Also I don't want to sound like an idiot but what is that beside the turbo?

Thanks,
Will
Attached Thumbnails
Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod:-wp_20140723_002.jpg   Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod:-wp_20140723_003.jpg   Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod:-wp_20140723_005.jpg   Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod:-wp_20140723_006.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

First

Looking at your pictures, I don't see anything besides your turbo (put your finger on it and take another picture). You still have the original snakehead in there so yes, absolutely get a full exhaust kit. 4" is all that's needed but I like the sound of a 5" better. Change all your fluids, filters, and check the wheel wells and mirror posts for rust and stuck mud. Eventually you will need to pop the valve covers off and swap in known good glowplugs and VC gaskets with all wiring. The VC gaskets are normal wear-and-tear parts, they should be replace every couple years (3-4). Get TWO (2) new CPSs and install one and keep the other in the glovebox with a 10mm wrench. Those love to go out when you need the truck the most. Give it a bath and some love and she'll pony you around forever.

Now, these 1st gen PowerStrokes are not overly powerful and to make them powerful takes good money. You cannot crank the timing out and parts are not (well, should not) be bought in "Stage #'s". Please look up the HUEI injection system and learn as much as possible on how it works. These are very different injection systems that only older Internationals and most CATs engines work on. Your local diesel shop that works on Cummins or Isuzu engines may not know what it takes to work on these engines. They are by no means hard to work on but they are very different then what else is out there. If you need to have a shop work on the truck I'd sooner take it to tractor shop than a common diesel shop.
williep13 likes this.

Last edited by BigFuel; 07-24-2014 at 12:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFuel For This Useful Post:
JUICED COUPE (07-24-2014), williep13 (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:16 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
listen to matt he's pretty smart
The Following User Says Thank You to terryknight For This Useful Post:
williep13 (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the information. I will take another picture later. What aftermarket exhaust do you recommend? Don't have much money to spend.

What's a CPS?

Also I have always ran AMSOIL in all my vehicles I've ever owned but I know some diesel people prefer Rotella, any thoughts?

About how much fluid does the diff hold? And where is recommend, I was also going to use AMSOIL in the diff.

The original owner keep very good records all the way back to 1995. The trans fluid was changed 15K miles ago but that was also 8 years ago do you think it needs to be changed?

Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by williep13 View Post
Thanks for the information. I will take another picture later. What aftermarket exhaust do you recommend? Don't have much money to spend.

Diamond Eye seems to be the consensus around here and you being in some part of Washington might mean that you are close to their manufacturing plant. If you are drive over and save some money. These trucks are not smog tested like the newer engines so we typically straight pipe them. Wait for a holiday and pick it up on sale for near $200-300 (depending on options). If nothing else is in the table right now swap out just the downpipe. It'll make the whole exhaust cost more in the end but it and the cat. cause most of the MPG issues.

What's a CPS?

Cam. Position Sensor

Also I have always ran AMSOIL in all my vehicles I've ever owned but I know some diesel people prefer Rotella, any thoughts?

AMSOIL is plenty fine, So is Rotella. I use Valvoline synthetic Blue. Get whatever Walmart has on special.

About how much fluid does the diff hold? And where is recommend, I was also going to use AMSOIL in the diff.

3 Liters or 6.5 pints of gear oil (80-90 Dino, 75-120 Synthetic) + friction modifier if it has a limited slip.

The original owner keep very good records all the way back to 1995. The trans fluid was changed 15K miles ago but that was also 8 years ago do you think it needs to be changed?

Unless you do it was it really done??? you can burn trans fluid in one bad run after installing fresh fluid. Speaking of which, buy some Coolant test strips and test your coolant. Odds are you need a flush if not just a refresh on stabilizers.

Thanks again.
What I do above^ Other people will have other recommendations. I only use synthetics now.
williep13 likes this.

Last edited by BigFuel; 07-24-2014 at 01:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFuel For This Useful Post:
williep13 (07-25-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 PM
the baconator

if you go with a synthetic gear oil it should already have the friction modifier in it. if you add more it will become a mostly slip.
BigFuel and williep13 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to terryknight For This Useful Post:
williep13 (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 05:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I completed the first project, Ait filter modification. I was just checking things out and ran across this.

Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod:-wp_20140724_011.jpg

So I went to NAPA and picked up a filter and then to the hardware store to get an andapter. Picked up some PVC and cut the groove out the middle for clean air flow and got everything installed.
Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod:-wp_20140724_013.jpg
Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod:-wp_20140724_015.jpg
Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod:-wp_20140724_018.jpg

The frame has quite a bit of surface rust. Will spray undercoating work on this and shold I get it sand blasted first?
Picked up a 95 F350 7.3L :nod:-wp_20140724_021.jpg

Thanks again for all the information.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The "water in fuel" light is on how do I drain it?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Wire wheel the frame then add your frame paint, and the bowl drain is on the rear left "corner" of the fuel filter, should be a yellow tab, just pull toward the front of the truck
Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 PM
the baconator

what kris said except it's the front left corner (as you are looking at the motor.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.