1997 Front Hub issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 Front Hub issues

Ok, so I took my truck to a shop for an alignment. They call me and say my bearings are loose and need repacking first. I agreed, a couple hours later, they tell me they can't get the hubs apart because they don't have the right socket. So I brought them a hub socket made by powerbuilt which is listed for F250's, Dana 50 & 60 axles. Its a 2.5" round socket with 4 internal lugs. They called me today and told me it was still a no go, saying something about a 42mm 12 point socket.... *sigh* i told them to get the toe as close as possible and cut me loose.

My truck has been converted to warn standard manual hubs, is there really a unique socket for this set up or are these guys just morons?
I went to warn's website and see theres a listing for a nut service kit or whatever, but no pics. IF there is a special socket, could someone post a pic for me??

Truck is a 97 ECSB 4x4.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What kind of shop is going to recommend a service they can't perform, sorry I've never used warn hubs
Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
What kind of shop is going to recommend a service they can't perform, sorry I've never used warn hubs
That was my first question.... their answer was that they don't have anyone familiar with these rigs.
I used to work for Ford as a mechanic like 10 years ago right out of high school, other than for tires, I've never sent my vehicles to any shop since then.

This is why....
Old 07-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure if this helps, but I use a NAPA 3246 on my 97 F250 with manual hubs. Cheers!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I put a few pics in my thread (see my build thread linked below) as I went through mine, maybe they might be helpful?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:49 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
your truck has been converted? as in it had auto locking hubs? did they/you swap to the manual type spindle nut?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
your truck has been converted? as in it had auto locking hubs? did they/you swap to the manual type spindle nut?
Well I assume they were converted to warn hubs. I bought the truck in december, and the hubs said "warn" on them.
I was under the impression all 96-97 f250 4x4's came with auto hubs.
Either way, I got the truck back from the shop last night and they were able to get the toe aligned to within spec despite the loose bearings.

I still want to take it apart this weekend and see whats what, so the question remains, is there any other socket than the 2 1/2" round socket with the 4 internal lugs? I don't have a NAPA anywhere nearby, and the place i use carries "power built" tools:

POWERBUILT

Also, now that it's aligned, theres still a large amount of slop, or deadband in the steering wheel before it starts to move the wheels, is a steering box in my future??
Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 AM
the baconator

you can tighten the steering box up, there should be a nut and an allen headed bolt (some are slotted though) loosen the nut tighten the bolt. only do it 1/4 turn at a time. not all 96-97s had auto locking hubs, some came with standard manual ones. the auto spindle nut is different from the manual one. the socket you have should fit the manual nuts.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:41 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Terry, we talked to a kid a month or so ago that had the standard hub nut on one wheel and some sort of aftermarket on the other. OP, lift the tire off the ground and tap the hub nut off with a thin chisel or roll pin punch. It's not that tight. Replace with the right hub nut.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:08 AM
the baconator

hmmm...... don't remember that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.