97 EVTM Missing Truck Configurations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 EVTM Missing Truck Configurations

Just bought a 97 EVTM. It is for F250HD, F-350, and F-Superduty. It has diesel and gas versions listed. I am in here looking at PCM diagrams. It has 49 States or Superduty (with e40d, or manual pins listed). I go to the next page and it is California 7.3 except Super Duty. However it only has auto matic pin outs listed.

Just wondering wth happened to the Cali F350 with 5spd pinouts? Did I get the wrong book, or do I need to use a combo of the pinouts?

I don't think it can be a combo because I am going down the list and some of the pins match up, but I've found 5 pins that are different between Federal and the listed Cali auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 07:13 PM

Yeah, it's kind of an oversight I think. The only one listed on page 28-14 for the 49-state manual trannies is pin 29. Of course, it is not listed for the Cali manual tranny trucks on page 28-16. It gets even more confusing with the actual diagrams on page 28-9 and page 31-2.

My educated guess is that pin 29 is the same for the Cali manual trucks based on the diagram on page 20-3 which lists the same pin for both 49-state and Cali (the wire colors are different between Federal and Cali ... Federal trucks change circuit numbers and wire color for manual and auto and Cali keeps the same wire color for both manual and auto). Maybe that helps? If you need them, I have Word documents that list the entire pinouts side-by-side for both 97 Federal and Cali and another with just the differences. Cheers!

Last edited by Patrick Feeley; 07-16-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:22 PM

Patrick,

I appreciate the reply. I know you are the Ford EVTM/Part number king so I was hoping I'd be fortunate enough to catch you haha. I scoured the book several times thinking I had to be wrong. Went ahead and purchased a 96 evtm aswell. I figure it can't hurt to have, although I know they get into a whole nother wiring situation there, similar/same as federal IIRC.

I appreciate you specifying page numbers so I can follow along. I didn't even think of using page 20-3. Just for future reference, the 29 listed in the middle of the square box to the left of "PCM" text specifies the pin termination/slot at pcm?

I would appreciate the diagrams. I would think that I could perhaps use the Cali PCM pinout, ignore the auto trans sensors, and note that 29 is for the cpp/nss.

Goal is to convert to Super Duty PCM. My line of thinking is that a manual to manual pcm swap would be the best. Do you think most of the manual SD pcms over the various years are the same in terms of pins, or would it behoove me to get pinouts for 99,00,01,02, 03 just to see if one perhaps would require less pin swapping?

Last edited by glovemeister; 07-16-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:10 PM

Yes, those are the PCM pin numbers. On other components, such as the fuse boxes, they could be fuse numbers and pin numbers on the various connectors for items such as the IDM, Instrument Cluster, etc.

If you are going to switch over to an SD PCM, I would definitely get (at least) the Engine Control diagrams for whatever year PCM you go with. You will most likely have to change out the MAP sensor since the SD MAP puts out a variable voltage signal (I think) while ours put out a variable frequency signal that the SD PCM won't like. Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: doc 49 State vs Cali PCM Pinouts.doc (177.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: doc 49 State vs Cali PCM Pinout Differences Only.doc (59.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Patrick Feeley; 07-17-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added docs for pinouts
Old 08-02-2014, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the reply Patrick.

I have myself a paper PCED Manual for 1997 model year, and online version of 1996 ECED, as well as EVTM for 96 and 97. It appears that your earlier statement about pin 29 was correct. Amazing how much you can find when looking back and forth between all of these manuals.

I was investigating further into my PCM swap situation.

I noted that for e99 pcms many of the pins match up. In some instances, the SD manual gives a more detailed manual for example pin 8 is "glow plug monitor left bank" while in the OBS manual it lists pin 8 as "glow plug relay."

Any suggestion on location in the manuals to look to determine exact function, of pin 8 (ie GPR Monitor left bank or right bank) in the obs evt manual?

I also thought it was interesting that in the OBS manual it does not list:the pin for WIF sensor, pin for fuel heater.

I also noted that the e99 PCM pin reference lists pin 24 as being for throttle position sensor. (Diesels do not have a TPS, and the APP Sensor/IVS Sensor pins are listed later)
Found a pin reference for an 03. Pin 24 is listed as APP Ground, which makes more sense. I didn't see a ground in the later APP listings.

Just seems like Ford was kind of lazy in the 90's and decided to be real specific with the SD manuals.

Last edited by glovemeister; 08-03-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:23 AM

I think you just have to use the actual line diagrams and your own educated sense to figure out what the pins are "reallY' for. That's kind of what I do anyway. Cheers!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
I think you just have to use the actual line diagrams and your own educated sense to figure out what the pins are "reallY' for. That's kind of what I do anyway. Cheers!
Patrick,

I went ahead and used the 97 PCED manual. It lists things a lot cleaner, and in more detail than the EVTM. I was kind of surprised given that the EVTM is for wiring. The PCED doesn't contain super explicit wiring diagrams though, so guess I was right to get both. If you ever happen to need anything from a 96 or 97 PCED let me know. I'd be happy to scan stuff to repay the favor for all the help.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the offer! I have the 95 and 96 on CD and a hard copy of the 97, so I'm good on those (although I never really thought of using the PCED for the circuit descriptions ... so thanks there). Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.