Front brakes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front brakes

Front left locks up mainly when I start out in the morning, the steel line feeds that brake first, so most likely getting the pressure before the rest, thinking of putting a tee somewhere in the middle of the front line to distribute the pressure. Anyone else have this issue, or moved the line from the left front hose to another location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Have you done brakes to the truck before and have you ever replaced the calipers.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 AM

The brakes did not lock up like that when the truck came from the factory. Something is wrong with the braking system that re-engineering it probably won't help.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah... fix the problem, don't just bandaid the symptoms.

One thing to consider is that brake lines often can fail internally such that a flap of rubber is hanging out forming a bit of a check valve. If your right line was not letting pressure through fully, it could cause this. Otherwise, sticking calipers or sticking caliper slide bolts could make problems along these lines.

It's probably as good a time as any to go through, replace your brake lines (time for shiny new SS ones!), make sure the calipers are moving properly and sliding on their slides properly, etc. Don't mess around with your brakes - fix them right!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:40 PM

If your going to replace the hard lines I would get copper nickel lines that will not rust
Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM

New pads, rotors, calipers, rubber hoses, I did some more looking and the previous owner replaced the front lines, instead of doing it right, he joined them with pieces, and there are some loops in the line most likely loosing efficiency. The previous idiot half a$$ed the truck. A year later and I am still finding stuff wrong. I am on vacation next week I am going to replace all of the lines along with the front ball joints.

Last edited by dirtcrew51m; 07-08-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow that's really nice of him to put his life and others in danger of doing shady mechanic work wait I mean half a$$. What's next he puts gas in the fuel tank to save money on fill ups or did he put a GMB water pump on the motor from schucks!!!! I tell you some people don't take pride in there own work on their on rigs. I see it everyday in the heavy equipment world. Some moron half a$$ed a job by running hydraulic lines and now they rubbed through and blew. Instead of taking your time to do it right the first time they cut corners. Hope you can find it all before its too late bro.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

At least my truck was shop maintained by the previous owner... I still find occasional things that they messed up, but it's pretty solid.

Are you going to go with standard pads/rotors, or are you going to take the excuse to upgrade to the Cryo Powerslots and Hawk pads that should last significantly longer than the stock setup?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
powerslot rotors and hawk pads are worth it
Old 07-09-2014, 02:37 PM

I knew what the truck was, and the condition it was in so nothing surprises me. Fuel leaks, trans line leaks, water leaks, tires leaked, the only good thing the guy did was to put in a full aluminum radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.