Real life 7.3l manual ZF6 clutch HP rating? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Real life 7.3l manual ZF6 clutch HP rating?

Hey guys, I recently bought a 99.5 f250 Grandpa edition that runs great but just slow when towing my 10,000 lb toy hauler and I am wanting to do a WWII and PHP hydra for more umph.

My big hold back is will the stock clutch just slip under this load? Anybody have mods on their ZF6 and tow with it?

I appreciate the feedback and keep on truckin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnedcr250f View Post
Hey guys, I recently bought a 99.5 f250 Grandpa edition that runs great but just slow when towing my 10,000 lb toy hauler and I am wanting to do a WWII and PHP hydra for more umph.

My big hold back is will the stock clutch just slip under this load? Anybody have mods on their ZF6 and tow with it?

I appreciate the feedback and keep on truckin
Well i have bad news for you bud its not gonna go "fast". Its not a 6.0 or 6.4 its a 7.3 they are slow as is stock and unloaded let alone throwing 10k in the back. Now a WWII and hydra will definitely wake her up a bit but dont expect amazing results. It takes a good chunk of change to make a 7.3 "fast"

But the torque a 7.3 has is impressive and it would pull a house down if you asked and thats where your question about the clutch comes in. There are tons of guys out there running a stock clutch with much more than you are thinking of adding and tow heavy but it is definitely the weak link in the ZF6 and eventually will need to be replaced under that kind of use and thats when most people choose to upgrade to southbend, luk, etc.

Im SCT tuned running race tune with my 44s 24/7 and i can stomp the pedal pretty deep without any slippage and im on a stock clutch(as far as i know)

Now back to being slow, if you are actually REALLLLLLLY slow there there could be boost leaks or worn injectors etc that may be causing your problem and that would be the first things to check before throwing performance parts to try to compensate. Ideally you should be able to pull out relatively easy in front of traffic without them having to mash on the brakes or you mash on the accelerator. Guys did it for years in the OBS 7.3s before the boom of tuners and diesel performance

Sorry for the ramble
The Following User Says Thank You to Rammstein1224 For This Useful Post:
pinnedcr250f (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On my 2000 I had a cold air intake, exhaust, and Edge Evolution programmer. Tow Mode on the programmer was 60HP and 100lbs/torque and that's supposed to be to the rear wheels. That being said, I pulled a 35' bumper pull camper (I think around 7-8 thousand pounds) and never had the stock clutch slip once. Also pulled a 32' gooseneck with a full size Chevy on it and had no problem. I wouldn't worry about the clutch, but like it was stated above, I wouldn't expect to go fast while towing anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to a_thiel24 For This Useful Post:
pinnedcr250f (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate the feedback, I am pretty sure the truck is healthy in its stock form. I had a plugged pressure test for boost leaks and injectors checked out good.

My last rig was a newer and much more expensive rig but had 400hp/800tq. So maybe I am a little skewed but I don't think I have unrealistic expectations.

I am pretty much looking to tow 10k lbs at 70-75 on the flat interstate and to do that it seems like I am really pushing the skinny pedal (80-90%) throttle to accomplish this. And when I come up to any size hlll or incline I am having to downshift to keep it above 60. On the major hills I am pulling them at about 45 mph.

Does this sounds like normal performance for a 7.3?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can't say for sure as I don't haul anything that heavy, but in my experience I don't have to push that hard on the pedal to go highway speed and have never had to downshift to keep above 60.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My 00 7.3 was a 6 speed and would pull just about anything as fast as you wanted to go on the freeway. Only holdback was the eg't's. I ran a edge evolution, 4 inch exhaust, and a cold air intake. My stock clutch held for about 60k then i went with a luk. I routinely towed 10-12k up and down canyons here in utah.

Chips and gauges should go hand in hand of course
The Following User Says Thank You to desertdeer For This Useful Post:
pinnedcr250f (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 05:25 AM

Um, might wanna ask in the SD section, where more ZF6 owners hang out.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I am going to do the tuner and gauges and do my best to be responsible with the skinny pedal.

DesertDeer has a similar set up to what I want to do and I will just start saving up for that Luk
Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM

I went from a tuned 6.4 to my 94 7.3. The 7.3 was quite a bit slower until it got bigger injectors, hpop, intake, exhaust, intercooler, tuner, and a fuel system. It still wouldn't keep up with the 6.4 but it will now get out of its own way. I have no problems keeping up with traffic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.