My powerstroke took a dive for the worst today... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My powerstroke took a dive for the worst today...

After 306,000 miles the unthinkable happened Friday my compressor wheel in my turbo blew apart running at about 2300 rpm where's the best place to get a 7.3 rebuilt in north Texas?
Thanks,
Steven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd buy a good used one instead man, a rebuild is gonna be thousands.
I see 7.3s fairly often for less than $1000. The rebuild kit for a 7.3 on rockauto is well over $1500 with shipping.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's at the mechanics house right now and he has the head off and I have compressor wheel all in my cylinder heads valves everywhere I know for sure it doesn't run and he's talking total rebuild if he sent it off to be upwards of 4-5 thousand dollars not including his labor of pulling out and putting in... Maybe this truck will just be another obs you see sitting out in a field will post a picture in a minute
Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here she was all shined up before I rolled out Friday
Old 07-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Twisted metal in Salado, but that central Texas. I agree with the above replace the engine, rebuild yours on your sparetime to be a BEAST of a motor. AND/OR find a 444 (7.3) from an international 4xxx series with the allison tranny and put that in there.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:48 AM

I am in my rebuild replace about $3500. Prolly got another $500 to go. Mine slung a rod and it put a hole in the block. everything else was beautiful on the inside. I found a low mileage 7.3 (126K) for $1,500. this was by far the cheapest thing I saw. other 7.3 with that kind of mileage ive seen from $3k-6k. They arent cheap. I couldn't make myself put in a "good used" motor with out cracking it open. I am doing a budget rebuild; new bearings, gaskets, injector cups, up pipes, having the block honed and the crank polished. If my block hadn't been destroyed I could have rebuilt it for about 2-2500.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well just got off the phone with my mechanic he said he had it apart last night rods and pistons out, looks like I'll be getting my heads and valves re worked because my cylinder walls aren't scratched he said I'm going to need new injectors so looks like this is where I get to have a little fun going with 50cc injectors a Garrett gtp38r ball bearing turbo and going to have my head ported and polished and my mechanic is going to help me put some tunes on a chip
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Plus one on the buy a used one unless your budget allows having it rebuilt. They pop up on this and other forums local to North Texas and Craigslist. I can help keep an eye out if it helps.

Edited to add: Just saw your post…that's good news!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:04 PM

cummins swap time
Old 07-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you try calling Bill Hewitt at powerstroke help. He should have a lot of spare 7.3 parts. I've bought 6.0 parts from him when I was overhauling 6.0 motors on the side. He's a stand up guy and he will work with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.