My current project - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My current project

Rarely come on here anymore, so i figured i'd post up the project i've been working on slowly. Goal is a 5-600hp street rig. Be my racer/puller/DD, and spare work truck when needed. Been hoping to have it done by Labor day but who knows at this point. A ton of work needs done, as well as a ton of parts need bought, but i have no time and even less money.

1997 ECSB, totaled in the front and stripped down, i bought what was left.
Drivetrain is from a buddies 99, he totaled it the same time i was looking at buying the shortbed, so i got it cheap and tore it down.

Engine started as a 2000 T444E. Mod list is 250/200's, Gen 3 style HPOP, T4 mount with a 468, Melling LPOP, and it'll get a fuel system/suds/springs/pushrods.

Trans is a ZF6 with a like new 750hp Southbend dual disc. My buddy put the trans/clutch in a year ago and was told it was rebuilt then.

Axles are your typical 99 250 axles, Dana 50 front and 10.5 rear, 3.73 gears. Going to run stock OBS springs for now, probably run gas 350 springs in the front and 250 springs without a block in the rear. Wanting this thing to set low, so it WILL NOT get an RSK. I'll eventually put 05+ axles in it, if i don't sell it first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why the Gen-3 for only 250/2s? Seems way overkill.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:32 PM

Because i can build a Gen 3 style pump for 1/3rd of what an SRP costs, plus i don't have to worry about it blowing up and taking out a set of injectors or leaving me stranded. If something happens to this pump i can simply unhook it and continue on a stock HPOP.

Pulled the pan off to double check i had forged rods and a healthy bottom end.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Gotcha.... any plans while the pan is off other then inspection. Mikes griddle?, securing oil squirters? Ect...
Old 07-06-2014, 05:31 PM

No girdle, they require machining on the block and no real benefit for stock rods. Just going to check torque on everything, and make sure the squirters are all secure. My current engine had them brazed in from the factory. But supposedly the 99+ engines were just pressed in. And on my engine i welded the cam gear to the shaft, along with welding/modding the pick-up tube. So i may do that stuff. Nothing major though, just saving my pennies for some more engine parts. Looking like $600 for studs, $200 for springs, $200 for pushrods, and then $400 if i decide to go with an ATI or Fluidampar. Plus another $400 for plugs/o-rings/gaskets/etc..

Gets expensive quick. And i haven't even started on the drivetrain stuff yet.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Yes it does. Very quick
Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow this bringing me back to when I built a high horsepower 6.0 for a customer. They put about 12 grand into the motor with machining and hp parts. All I know is the customer loved spending money on his truck cause he want to smoke his buddies duramax. You shouldn't need a griddle unless you are spinning about 5 grand and on nitrous. His 6.0 went 5800 RPM's and held together for a couple years. Props for going big wanting it to be streetable. I love performance building.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looks like you got your hands full jimmy, can you shed more light on this DIY hpop of yours?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSMstroker View Post
Wow this bringing me back to when I built a high horsepower 6.0 for a customer. They put about 12 grand into the motor with machining and hp parts. All I know is the customer loved spending money on his truck cause he want to smoke his buddies duramax. You shouldn't need a griddle unless you are spinning about 5 grand and on nitrous. His 6.0 went 5800 RPM's and held together for a couple years. Props for going big wanting it to be streetable. I love performance building.
Being a manual it will see 4-5k. Especially whenever i hook it to a sled, and leave the line at full tilt. I do all my own tuning so i'll be able to set a rev limiter wherever i want though, which will be nice.

But one thing i don't understand is all these guys that build their trucks, and then they end up being track queens. I hope to be able to run 12's on Saturday, and hook to a trailer Monday. Honestly i think 11's would be possible, IF i had a built auto for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Looks like you got your hands full jimmy, can you shed more light on this DIY hpop of yours?
I'll post more pics once i get stuff set-up, but its essentially the Swamps gen 3. IH reservoir, pump gear, and a Haldex pump. Run 3 lines and bam, instant BIG oil.

Just a TON of work to get done, and doing it mostly by myself. Plan is to build it, then put a for sale sign on it. If it doesn't sell by mid winter it'll get tore down to fix what little rust there, and get paint. Not gonna lie though, with all the heat the diesel sport is taking right now, its been really tempting to sell everything and buy/build a car.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I agree with you on the street queens. I'm slowly working on buying parts for my truck. I'm saving for T500 hpop and then I'll do a D66. Then the 160cc injectors. It takes time and unless you have a big line of credit or a lot of money laying around then go for it. I thought about picking up a 2wd f250 powerstroke and build a race truck for the street since I tow with mine and also use mine for side work. Pretty much it's setup as a work truck for the contracting work I do on the side. This will be one mean truck your going to build though my friend. You do your own tuning. That I'm interested in!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.