Need help deciding on a 1997 powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help deciding on a 1997 powerstroke

New to the site here so just bare with me lol. I've been looking at a 1997 7.3 for about a week now. It has 154,000 miles on it and it's a single cab. It's a pretty good looking truck, white. Only has minimal rust. Just trying to see some opinions on maybe some things to lookout for and stuff that could potentially go bad around that mileage. They are asking $7,900 for it and they are firm on the price. This would be my first truck and I really like the diesels, especially the OBS powerstrokes. It is also completely stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I purchased a bone stock 97 XL reg cab with 169k on the odo 6 months ago for $7700. It had everything I wanted so I was willing to pay up. Most importantly it does not have a spec of rust. I spent almost as much time under the truck and hood as in it before I bought it.

I've been spoiled living in the south and wouldn't consider anything with even a small rust spot on it. That said, it is not easy for the northern folk to find rust free.

Price is also heavily dependent on where you live in the country. It seems to me that East is generally more expensive than West.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 AM
BANNED by Kris

Rust only grows...

If it's on front fenders easy fix, rear not so much. Check the drip rails and under the truck at the back corners of the cab. More rust? Offer 5K and walk away.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 AM

Is it auto or manaul, power options, and 4x4 or 2wd? And maintenance records on the vehicle? Proof of someone maintaining it or of various replaced parts? No set part is going to go out at set amount of miles. Ive noticed though 175k-200 when you start seeing sensors needing done, and starts to really show whether or not the truck was maintained well through out its life.

Jeremy
Old 07-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys. Should have included some more info but it is an f 250 automatic with 4x4. The only rust I have seen was on the rear wheel wells which was not much at all and two spots on the tailgate. I need to check it out more thoroughly. We did test drive it and it ran good but I don't know how to tell things. It kinda makes me mad they won't budge on price at all. I need to ask them about service records.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:03 PM

Big things to look out for, make sure you see it start on a cold start with the motor not be driven for a few hours at least. Make sure its building boost well, anything done to the truck at all? Look for blue or white smoke on start up. Any irregular shifts, make sure it shorting every gear well and make sure there's no rust strutctually on the underside. Make sure both front and rear tanks are working. Look for that under the cab and bed and door panels as well. Make sure all electronics work and gauges look for any fuel in the valley which would mean a day or so of troubleshooting and rebuilding fuel related parts there or converting to efuel. They are good reliable trucks, like every vehicle they have their share if issues but can be made darn reliable and are easy to maintain.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, we are all here to help when we can.

Jeremy
Old 07-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It shifted pretty well. I'm gonna have to take another trip back up there and check everything you guys are telling me. My neighbor works with diesels sometimes so he should be able to check all this stuff out. I just don't want to end up with something that has to have a ton of money put into it and I'd rather buy from a dealer. Buying from craigslist is always iffy. I love these OBS fords.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's another truck I'm looking into, but it has a good bit of rust on both rear wheel wells.

AutoTrader.com Mobile
Old 07-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Both overpriced. RC F250 automatic is a $5-6K truck, unless it's CLEAN. If you SEE rust on the bed side wheel wells, you most likely HAVE rust in more, and more critical, places.
BigFuel likes this.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Damn, was hoping to get one of them. But thanks for the replies guys! All the info you gave me helps a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.