Superchips or other on a stock + Banks kit/IC PSD? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Superchips or other on a stock + Banks kit/IC PSD?

I'm trying to sort out what the current best chip/flash is for my truck.

Current status of "things relevant to programming":
- '97 7.3 PSD, CCLB 4x4, automatic, 92k miles () (and it's /clean/)
- Banks Quick Turbo kit
- Banks intercooler
- Larger exhaust (3"? 4"? Previous owner did it)
- I /believe/ it has a larger down pipe.
- Bone stock injectors
- 203 degree thermostat
- 4.10 gears
- Heavy duty torque converter
- Banks TransCommand & some variety of shift kit
- 6637 filter
- Transmission, Pyro, Boost gauges

The truck came with the SuperChips tuner (whatever works on this year), and I've been chasing around in "Performance" mode (though will drop back when I'm towing heavy). I can hit about 20 lbs of boost up a hill in 2nd before redline, which seems a bit low to me - I'm quite confident I have some post-turbo boost leaks and am slowly chasing them down. I may have some exhaust side leaks too. I do get a bit of brown smoke when I'm on it hard, so I'm probably "about right" as far as fuel vs boost goes, right now.

Future plans:
- Swamps high voltage IDM
- New injectors, at /some/ point (not soon, since I don't have the space to work on it that much)
- Possibly e-fuel with parallel pumps for redundancy.

What's the currently-considered-best tuner option for this setup? It seems the TS 6 position chip is a commonly recommended option.

Also, any other suggestions as far as "things to do"? The goal is a tow-beast for 5k-10k lb loads, with reliability as a focus - I intend to keep the truck for another few decades if all goes well (and I will be living somewhere dry, so this is entirely possible).

Thanks!

Last edited by Syonyk; 06-28-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Moar Detailz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 05:10 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nice looking truck. didn't see an intake listed DIY 6637 or Tymar (what the 6637 is based of off) are both good.

a TS sty;le chip with custom tunes from Gearhead, TW, PHP, Beans, No Limit, Swamps, etc. you don't like one get it reburnt by someone else. there is also the Hydra chip, which allows 17 different tunes and the tuner can email them to you and there's no need to pull your chip.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The intake is a weird hybrid right now. I've got the K&N elbow with the 6637 feeding it. In any case, there's plenty of air getting to the turbo.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Agreed^^^^. Nice truck.

The Hydra is great. I've got 5 in stock if your interested. $375. Its by far the best one out there for the 7.3. I do have TS chips also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Interesting. I have no idea what I'd do with 17 slots... will look into it, though.

In general, how do the TS and Hydra tunes compare to the SuperChips tunes? I know some of the early 7.3 tunes were... a bit aggressive, while not creating that much power.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Very few ever use that many tunes. But if your not happy with the tunes you purchase you don't have to ship it out and wait. Some tuners are 2 weeks plus wait time, depending if its race season. With the Hydra you have full access to PHP's stock to lightly mod'd library. And if you want to run other custom tunes, they can be emailed to you.

Superchips, for being an off the shelf "canned" tunes are pretty darn good really. But, they are still canned. Custom tunes are far better and tuners will adjust the transmission shifting characteristics.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you can load lots of different peoples tunes on a hydra.

they come standard with php tunes, which have a stock feel to the pedal but the powers there when you push it down.

I'm running php tunes, good power, low egts.

superchips has good trans tuning but the engine tuning isn't nearly as good as php tunes.

the stock down pipe on the obs is restrictive. i would def make sure its been swapped out with a 3" down pipe
Old 06-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hm, alright. Definitely something to consider, and being able to load new tuning data from a laptop instead of shipping the chip out would be nice.

How difficult/expensive is it to get things retuned when you put in higher flow injectors?
Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syonyk View Post
Hm, alright. Definitely something to consider, and being able to load new tuning data from a laptop instead of shipping the chip out would be nice.

How difficult/expensive is it to get things retuned when you put in higher flow injectors?
It depends on the tuner. Some are free reburns for life. Some are not. Some you can buy just individual tunes instead of having to buy a whole set of tunes. Depending on how much bigger you go with injectors and other mods, you can safely run tunes that will be setup for your future setup.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

As I said, I'm not planning to go with anything huge. Maybe up one size for injectors, then run them fairly conservatively. Yes, scooting away from stoplights in a hurry is fun, but I'd rather have a truck that keeps the transmission alive and generally is a reliable tow beast than something that turns heads at the drag strip and shreads transmissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.