I'm trying to sort out what the current best chip/flash is for my truck.
Current status of "things relevant to programming":
- '97 7.3 PSD, CCLB 4x4, automatic, 92k miles (
) (and it's /clean/)
- Banks Quick Turbo kit
- Banks intercooler
- Larger exhaust (3"? 4"? Previous owner did it)
- I /believe/ it has a larger down pipe.
- Bone stock injectors
- 203 degree thermostat
- 4.10 gears
- Heavy duty torque converter
- Banks TransCommand & some variety of shift kit
- 6637 filter
- Transmission, Pyro, Boost gauges
The truck came with the SuperChips tuner (whatever works on this year), and I've been chasing around in "Performance" mode (though will drop back when I'm towing heavy). I can hit about 20 lbs of boost up a hill in 2nd before redline, which seems a bit low to me - I'm quite confident I have some post-turbo boost leaks and am slowly chasing them down. I may have some exhaust side leaks too. I do get a bit of brown smoke when I'm on it hard, so I'm probably "about right" as far as fuel vs boost goes, right now.
- Swamps high voltage IDM
- New injectors, at /some/ point (not soon, since I don't have the space to work on it that much)
- Possibly e-fuel with parallel pumps for redundancy.
What's the currently-considered-best tuner option for this setup? It seems the TS 6 position chip is a commonly recommended option.
Also, any other suggestions as far as "things to do"? The goal is a tow-beast for 5k-10k lb loads, with reliability as a focus - I intend to keep the truck for another few decades if all goes well (and I will be living somewhere dry, so this is entirely possible).