New Fuel Tanks and ......?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Fuel Tanks and ......??

My front fuel tank is now leaking to the point of dripping. The rear fuel tank has a minor leak of some sort. The bed is coming off in the next few weeks so I can get the rotted fenders replaced.

I've looked at the Spectra tanks on eBay as others have suggested, and I'm close to pulling the trigger on those. Is there any better recommendations than the Spectras? How about a larger capacity that will more/less bolt on without mods?

While the bed is off, I'm going to replace the rear shocks. I have a pair of bilstein 4600's, but I'm considering upgrading to the 5100's if there's significant improvements. I'm also going to modify the fuel fill so I can actually fill her up in less than 15 minutes LOL.

Anything else I should be looking at while the bed is off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I replaced my rear tank with a 38 gallon tank not from a Bronco like most people (altho 87-96 Broncos work just fine @ 30 gal) mine crosses to a single tank truck. I love it. I had to trim my fuel tank skid plate to clear my exhaust and the mounting ears on my hitch had to turn in from the outside of the truck rather then the inside. So I ended up replacing my hitch at the same time but it was rusty and I like the piece of mind of a fresh hitch. I also did the fuel vent mods at the same time.

Here is the tank I bought.
Amazon.com: Shepherd Auto Parts 38 Gallon Gas Fuel Tank: Automotive Amazon.com: Shepherd Auto Parts 38 Gallon Gas Fuel Tank: Automotive
Old 06-27-2014, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
I replaced my rear tank with a 38 gallon tank not from a Bronco like most people (altho 87-96 Broncos work just fine @ 30 gal) mine crosses to a single tank truck. I love it. I had to trim my fuel tank skid plate to clear my exhaust and the mounting ears on my hitch had to turn in from the outside of the truck rather then the inside. So I ended up replacing my hitch at the same time but it was rusty and I like the piece of mind of a fresh hitch. I also did the fuel vent mods at the same time.
So it looks like you installed this in place of the rear tank. Did you lose the ability to mount the spare tire?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I still have room for the spare. It just hangs a few inches lower then it normally does. I have not had any clearance issues but I don't off road my truck. Mine is really a tow pig.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think the larger rear tank in conjunction with the 19 gallon front tank would be a sweet setup. Is that what you did? I can't quite tell if that's what you mean or not. The picture for the 38 gallon looks very close to the stock replacement, but perhaps a little deeper and wider.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The 38 gallon tank is a direct replacement for our stock tank. It is just deeper. You have to extend the fuel pickup and the fuel level float. Do a search on the forum there are a ton of DIY step by step threads for Bronco tanks. I replaced my rear tank with the 38 gal and kept the 19 front tank. I also have a 70 gal in bed transfer tank that transfers to the rear tank. I can easily pull my 36ft 5th wheel over 1K miles without fueling.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it the 4x4 truck in your sig? Most likely reason it's leaking is the stooopid design. NO straps; the skid plates hold up the tank directly. Around the edges of the tank where it sits on the plates, moist icky road crud builds up, perfect recipe for rust. Fix - get some actual straps for the tank and some longer bolts (or all-thread/studs) and extra washers and nuts, and some 1" - 1.5" spacers. Hang the tank with the straps and one set of nuts, and the extra bolt/stud length pointing down. Then slip the spacers on, some washers, then skid plates, and THEN the last set of washers and nuts. This eliminates that trough/edge where the tank (no longer) rests on the plates. Anything that might build up in there, you can hose out. Of course, prime/paint the tank, straps, skid plates, etc.

Amazon usu. has the best prices on the Spectra tanks (there's also a Spectra 38-gallon), shipped free. Every now and then they have a "scratch & dent" (not literally!) to sell; we got an open box 19-gallon front tank for < $60 that way.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Spectra is the common replacement. They are descent, made in Canada not by the chicoms. Thats what I put in my trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.