New to diesels. What to do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to diesels. What to do?

I've had everything from low riders to lifted trucks to 400hp awd ricers. I've always been a ford guy though. Been wanting a 7.3 for awhile and I'm about to buy one. The truck I'm looking at is a 96 f250 excab long bed 2wd 5speed. I've know the owner for awhile. He's the second owner. It is all stock accept for a k&n filter in stock intake. It has 273k on it seems to run very well no leaks or smoke. I forgot to check for blow by but will if I go to buy it. $3800 is his bottoms dollar and I feel like that's a good deal. Is there anything else to look for? Everything works. Good tires straight body. I will be using it for a daily driver and occasionally hauling my Suzuki Samurai. I don't really want to make it a race truck but I want it to run and pull good. I figured I would go with a s&b intake with a 3" dp to 4" straight. What kind of tuner should I get? Anything else I should do? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you have covered the big things already to watch out for and upgrade. As for tuners get a custom tuned chip from php, TS with someones tunes such as tony Wildman. Do not go with a edge. I know from experience the edge is super smoky and actually feels like there is less power than stock. 3800 bucks is a great deal in my opinion. I paid 4k in 2010 for my 94.5 with 267k and rusted rear fender wells lower rear of front fenders and cab corners are starting to rust.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Take a look at the turbo wheel. K and n filters are know to dust turbos.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:00 PM

IMO a 6637 intake is the way to go. Cheaper, easier to install and maintain, and flows plenty.
I ran tony wildman tunes on my '95 and they worked great.
If you're keeping the stock fuel system an FPR shim is always a great way to flow some extra fuel on the cheap.
But the downpipe is a biggie too, stock pancake pipe is extremely restrictive. Have fun installing yours I know i did
Getting air and fuel in and exhaust out, and good tunes will make for a fun and reliable truck.

BTW, congrats (in advance) on your first 7.3. Hopefully you love it as much as I did my first haha.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I've read that about k&n's on turbos. It will be coming off. Also how does a for ( I assume fuel pressure regulator) shim work? I've read a lot about the TS chip as well. Ppl seem to like it a lot. I've also read about the 6637 mod may go that route instead and save some money. Just seems like the s&b would be better.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 PM

there is a brass plug on the side of the fuel pressure regulator ( I believe it was 19mm IIRC) You remove that plug and pull out the spring inside and shim it out. Some people use the heads of screws I used a copper BB and it worked perfectly. cleans up the idle and gives you a little better fuel pressure.

there are quite a few threads on here that give pics and more detailed explanations of it. but its only about a 10 minute job and worth the time just to stop some of the shake when you're sitting still if nothing else
Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 AM

If a k&n is properly maintained and oiled it won't hurt anything. I personally have been using them for years and know of dozens of trucks from ford dodge Chevy that have been using them with no issues. My 94 has had a k&n in the stock filter housing for 120k and 10k on an intake setup. Turbo is still in good shape. Currently with 280k on the clock. I've known my 94 since it had 140k. Turbo has never been touched.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I've ran k&n's on multiple gas vehicles with no problems. Even on my turbo eclipses. Will a exhaust shop run a straight exhaust with no car or muffler or should I buy one aftermarket?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXaS SoB View Post
Yeah I've ran k&n's on multiple gas vehicles with no problems. Even on my turbo eclipses. Will a exhaust shop run a straight exhaust with no car or muffler or should I buy one aftermarket?
I don't know what its like where you are, but around here no exhaust shop is able to do 3" or bigger exhaust. I've run diamond eye kits (no muffler no cat) on all my 7.3's and got them all off of ebay. they're pretty cheap on there, and you can buy them in multiple configurations (cat/no cat, muffler/no muffler, with or without DP, 4",5", duals) Also, every time i bought the kits from the shops on ebay, they threw in free tips for it. And they were actually nice, rolled edge tips and the chrome didn't flake off or get dull.

just my 2 cents
Old 06-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I've looked at those. And a few other seems like decent prices. I'm gonna ask my local shop first cause I know they've done them and go from there. Looks like I should go 3" dp but what about the rest 4" or 5"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.