Will not start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 01:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will not start

So, I am having problems getting my truck to start. I could do with some advice before I start to throw cash at it.

Here's a summary of what happened. Also I drive it daily.

I started it to go to work and it seemed to misfire slightly at idle, i mean barely noticeable but only happened when I was turning when reversing out of my driveway.
I drove 15 miles to work and she drove perfect.
Idled at work and zero misfires.
Went to the store a couple of mile from my work a few hours later. I parked, turned her off then noticed a better space so I started her back up and moved her.
Bought my groceries then when I got back to the truck it would not start, turned over really lazy like the batteries were low.
I had a friend try to jump start me with a Subaru forester, it wouldnt start but still didnt seem to crank fast enough. I did find a battery terminal loose.
I called roadside recovery and And they had a Ford Fusion :/ and a booster thing. they connected both up and it turned over fast and would sound like it was going to start but it never did start, although it was probably slower than normal. The RPM's at cranking were 500/600.

Any ideas? Would a bad battery prevent it from starting?

I did check for fuel in the bowl and it seems fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 02:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I doubt it cranks 500-600 rpm unless you have a nippendenso starter. The magic number you are looking for is at least 125rpm cranking.
Wouldn't hurt to check the oil level also.
Does your wait to start light illuminate?

Power-Struck dot com
The Following User Says Thank You to POWER-STRUCK For This Useful Post:
IRNBRU (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 03:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The WTS light comes on and off as normal. My batteries are 3 years old and I do a lot of short journeys. One thing I did notice when trying to jump start it is that it seemed to be better when the cables were hooked up to the passanger side as opposed to the driver side. It never slow cranked before this no start issue appeared.

I was convinced it was the batteries but i have been unable to jump start it although I have only tried to be jumped from cars. the 600 or so RPM was during the firing but no start stage.

I want to buy new batteries but I fear that I may just be hoping that thats my problem.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Place a battery charger (ground on engine/ positive on the starter relay hot terminal) then test voltage on each battery directly from the center of each battery post. Watch for inconsistent voltage between the batteries. The cables can fail or come loose at the ground bolts on the block causing one battery to become inoperable.
If it is cranking at least 125rpm I would suspect something else as the culprit for the no start condition

Power-Struck dot com
The Following User Says Thank You to POWER-STRUCK For This Useful Post:
IRNBRU (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The oil level is good. I also cleaned the FPR screen 6 months ago when I last did my fuel filter and oil change. I am going to test the batteries with a DMM to see if there is a voltage difference between the 2.

I just cannot get past the fact that the batteries were nearly dead the first time I cranked it.

thanks for your help!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

SO....I would like to follow up on the resolution

Turned out to be a binding alternator pulley. I replaced the batteries as one measured only 600 cranking amps. The new batteries are 1000cca.

Cranked it and it started very lumpy and the belt started smoking as the pulley was seized. Replaced the alternator and belt. All is good
Old 06-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That would do it. Glad you got it fixed! I'm hoping my current batteries make it through the summer - planning to swap them before winter hits again.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The strange thing is that the pulley did not make a noise. No warning at all, although its not easy to hear much over the engine.

Now I have 2 reasonable batteries that I plan to hook up to an 120vac invertor for camping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.