Best Method of Stiffening Frame - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Method of Stiffening Frame

So I Will not have time to really take a hard look at this for a while but I figured I would make a thread and See what your guys' thoughts were.

I have a cclb and before I hear it I KNOW it will never be a bad*** offroad warrior nor am I trying to make it so.

However I do find it extremely disappointing that even when hopping a curb my frameflexes in a way I just don't see newer trucks doing while I have little no articulation or "flex" in my suspension. my body lines get misaligned and the bed occasionally hits the cab when crossing ditches.

So again i understand this is a 1 ton and not the suspension is not designed to flex blah blah blah but what are some ways that I can increase frame rigidity and increase axle articulation to prevent so much frame/chassis/body/ flex/ roll whatever you want to call it?

And yes the sway bars have been removed. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 02:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Box it in and add a cross member.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-06-2014, 02:42 AM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

i have a friend that went through this. he changed things around a few times and basically this is what he figured he should have done in the first place

get one of these kits
https://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cg...FORD-FSRSD-004
which moves your front spring shackles to the rear of the leaf spring and will allow you to use softer superduty springs.

and then a set of super duty front springs. my buddy ended up with a custom flat leaf pack from a spring shop to make it flexy

then in the rear
https://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cg...y=FORD-RFK-001
and get some progressive rate rear leafs. i'm not sure if superduty rear springs would work. you might have to call icon or deaver to see what they have or get a spring shop that knows what they're doing to make some for you.

if you can absorb some flex through the suspension, your frame will flex less. adding 500lbs of steel to the frame might not work as well as you would hope.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:01 AM

The frame is DESIGNED to flex. it is part of the suspension.

With that said, I would NOT box. it causes problems like

A. trapping water, dirt, salt,and ROTTING the frame out
B. Where will you run the brake lines, fuel lines and electrical
C. How would you access your body mounts?
D Your crossmenebrs go INSIDE the C of the frame
E your fuel tanks go INSIDE the C of the frame
F you exhaust hangers go INSIDE the C of the frame.

See what I am getting at?

For different reasons PLATED the inside of my frame

I got another truck frame for the SAME frame steel to let it flex like it should. Where they lay against each other. It was sandblasted, POR15, painted, and Cosmolined to prevent rust or trap anything. Also each 7' piece was bolted in with 25 or so bolts. AND the frame holes line up with each other so you can actually bolt things to the frame

Last edited by Diesel_brad; 06-07-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:15 AM

Steve 604- thanks For the links but I am not so sure I want to lift my truck right now as I do use it as a work truck and enjoy the appearance of stock height.

I also cant help but think that softening the suspension will only help to a certain degree as much as this frame flexes. I would also like to hook on to a 14k gvw trailer now and then . I am not looking for mondo flex just the stiffen this beast up a little bit.

Brad-I understand that boxing has the potential to rust. If if were to do any boxing I would do it correctly, as in making sure it had drainage, ease of access, etc. Plus where I live I see almost no moisture except for the winter so I am not too worried about rust too horribly but whatever I do I plan on overbuilding this.

I am interested in what you mean by plating. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

So does anyone actually have any pictures of somebody doing this to an OBS or am I just being unrealistic? thanks for the insight guys.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Boxing only a section of the frame from the trans crossmember to the fuel tank with take care of it. You can make it bolt on, or has it sprayed on the inside after welding it in. Move the brake/fuel lines to the outside of the box. Or you could cut a piece of 1/4" material and just bolt it inside the C channel. Then add another crossmember.

Dodge and GM have boxed their frames for quite some time and had no rust issues. My '05 ram had no rust ever on the frame.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-07-2014, 04:45 PM

with no frame flex , something else is gonna have to give , front end will not flex like the read end , maybe you have to stiff of springs ,
Old 06-07-2014, 07:16 PM

Dodges rot out HORRIBLY

I can't even count on 2 hand how many I have seen at the junk yard BROKE in the middle from rusted frames.

But what about ALL the other PROBLEMS with a boxed frame that I listed

here are some pics of my plated frame
Actual pieces of frame cut down after sandblasting, POR15, Tractor black and getting 2 coats of Cosmoline

Plates bolted in place after the 2 coats of Cosmoline

Note fuel and brake lines run like NORMAL. And crossmemebers bolt in like normal

ALL the factory holes are still accessible

exhaust hangers bolt in like Normal

Last edited by Diesel_brad; 06-07-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by theforeman57 View Post
Steve 604- thanks For the links but I am not so sure I want to lift my truck right now as I do use it as a work truck and enjoy the appearance of stock height.

I also cant help but think that softening the suspension will only help to a certain degree as much as this frame flexes. I would also like to hook on to a 14k gvw trailer now and then . I am not looking for mondo flex just the stiffen this beast up a little bit.

Brad-I understand that boxing has the potential to rust. If if were to do any boxing I would do it correctly, as in making sure it had drainage, ease of access, etc. Plus where I live I see almost no moisture except for the winter so I am not too worried about rust too horribly but whatever I do I plan on overbuilding this.

I am interested in what you mean by plating. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

So does anyone actually have any pictures of somebody doing this to an OBS or am I just being unrealistic? thanks for the insight guys.
If you do all I listed and then use some flat and flexy springs which will bring the ride height down.

I wouldn't mess with the frame. It's going to be a lot of work for a dissapointing end result.

Flexibility gives you traction to get through the ditches. Making it stiff will just put spinning wheels in the air
Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree with what has been said in the posts above. The engineers at Ford designed the frame to be ductile for a reason. Increasing the stiffness of the frame can potentially force other areas to make up for the lack of ductility in the frame leading to breakage. If I were you I would change the suspension setup rather than boxing the frame.

Last edited by BadAss'97; 06-07-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.