oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil

Here's one for u guys I was at the dieselshop last week and got to talkin to the owner and asked him what oil to use I told him I used Rotella 15w-40 he said to use Delo because Rotella did'nt have enough anti-foaming additive in it like Delo does he said drive ur truck get it warm and check the oil and you will see the bubbles on the end of the dip stick he what right any input on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

A buddy of mine that worked for Steel City said all they used was Delo in the trucks and cranes because it was better and they would only run good oil in the cranes since they were so expensive. I did not think nothing of it until now you post stating another person said it also.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Linam
Here's one for u guys I was at the dieselshop last week and got to talkin to the owner and asked him what oil to use I told him I used Rotella 15w-40 he said to use Delo because Rotella did'nt have enough anti-foaming additive in it like Delo does he said drive ur truck get it warm and check the oil and you will see the bubbles on the end of the dip stick he what right any input on this one.
i have seen many trucks running rotella oil, and i have yet to see a truck that is not way overdue for an oil change have foamed oil without a mechanical failure. the key is NEVER fill your oil to the top of the full range. it should be dead center in the fill range....or just a little below dead center. overfull conditions are the most likely to cause foaming. any good name brand diesel oil has plenty of anti-foaming agent in it to keep it from foaming under normal engine operation.....and if your really worried you can buy the anti foaming agent and add it, but its really a waist of money
Old 01-18-2006, 04:12 PM

ditto that...don't overfill it...what is Delo, Mobil right? the foam thing sounds like one of those pitches to get you to buy something thats more $$$...I've always heard that Rotella is one of the best. It's also almost exactly like Chevron DelVac which is about the same $.

Happy Oilin'

wes
Old 01-18-2006, 04:33 PM

Delo is Chevron and DelVac is Mobil and Delo is no more than Rotella so I do not think it is a pitch to buy something more expensive. Now the Mobil I would say might be more but I am not sure.

Last edited by pro99line; 01-18-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:24 PM

any comments on motorcraft?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

all i run in all of my vehicles(all gas motors, even run motorcraft in my chevy). i run mobile 1 in my girlfriends volvo, but that twin turbo inline six is a little higher performance than the rest, and requires a synthetic blend at minimum according to volvo, and i dont argue with factory testing...they spend a lot of money to determine oils and viscocity levels. i do like the idea of synthetic oils, they tend to hold viscosity longer according to the majority of testing, but if you do your oil changes regularly, i dont think the extra cost is nessisarily worth it since i have seen 7.3's with 500k or more running nothing but regular old motorcraft oil. i think as long as it is a good oil, it really doesnt matter what you run as long as you maintain your vehicle at decent intervals. its not so much the supberb quality of the oil (as long as it is a good oil) put in during the oil change, as much as it is the quality of the oil in the motor at every given point in its life.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
What a joke. I've been using Rotella 15-40 in my truck ever since I first changed the oil in it. I've always made sure the dipstick registers right around dead center. I've checked it cold and hot and never noticed any foam. It's when things are not done as properly as they should have when you get things like foam, and other things that just aren't "right"
Old 01-21-2006, 02:33 AM

It is my opinion that all name brand oils are sufficient, of course some are better than others. I haven't had my diesel long but the previous owner always used rotella and the truck has 316,000 miles on it. I am gonna stick with the Rotella. I am going to check for foam next time I drive it however.
I'm off subject a bit but I believe more importantly is the oil filter. The filters are most definately not created equally. I'm a WIX man all the way. I had a fella tell me that a K&N was better (he was working on a Subaru WRX). That is until he cut them open and compared. The difference was unbelieveable. The WIX element was 40% bigger diameter, 30% taller and didn't have glue soaked up into the element like the K&N. That is just 1 example. Pick up a Fram and compare the weight. For me, if you love your vehicle it gets a WIX.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:28 AM

I will not run anything other than Motorcraft filters on my Ford's. I was advised awhile back by the ford tech we know that it is the best thing to run. If it is true or not I do not know but they have worked great so far. My 5.0 explorer has over 200,000 of hard miles and still strong. I would not go with Fram because I have heard of them seperating. Again this probably goes back to the fact there are many different ways to skin a cat and none are neccessarily better than the others and all get the same job done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.