Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
9M views 119K replies 682 participants last post by  wuntunearlybko 
#1 ·
Hey guys I figured us OBS guys could have a little chat thread where we can just talk about modding the trucks and anything else with our trucks, what numbers we are making, any questions, etc. and just kind of BS

and so Nick will stop derailing my thread. LOL just kiddin man

So lets chat!

#117,161 ·
YES

Here is a different angle with the "jaw" still installed.

Steel pin, with no tolerance around the pin. the center piece of steel was supposed to pivot on said pin. The two outside pieces of steel were the anchors for the pin with plug welds on both sides. Those two pieces of steel make up the "receiver" for the tailgate which the "jaw" clamps on the tailgate pin against.

Everything was rusted up solid. It took a pry bar to move the jaws up off the tailgate. You'd have to work each side little by little, and I'm not talking like a little force. Im talking a 3 foot pry bar with some *** behind it lol

Thats all the farther it would close too, but you can see how it works on this truck.

I don't know if the company that built the bed makes them, or buys them. But they use that latch on ALL of their beds. And most companies around the area use the same latch assembly.

Either way, its a poor design.

Thats dads G series tractor. I think its a 325G? I can't remember. Has a kawasaki 20hp V-twin in it. Its a nice little lawn tractor. Power steering, hydrostatic. Its like a 2004 or somewhere around there lol
Yeah, that is a piss poor setup. No serviceability or thought for when rust sets in. Is the center part welded to the pivot pin, or does the pin go through a hole in it? I'd cut/drill the pin out, bore the hole out bigger in the moving plate and install a bronze bushing. Replace the pin with a nut and bolt, welding the nut to one of the outside arms. That way you'd just need a hole big enough to slip a socket through to disassemble in the future, and pull it out the bottom to work on it.

That deere looked pretty new. My rating system is based on crankshaft orientation. Horizontal-tractor, vertical-lawnmower. :hehe:

#117,162 ·
Does anyone have a set of the two post mirrors they would be willing to sell? I'm looking for the 1992-Up style. The ones that are in the shape of a 7. I bought some from Ford a couple years back they are pretty rusty. I don't want to buy another set new arms, since I fear the chrome plating will fail on me again. If anyone has a set of rust free ones, I would gladly take them off your hands.

#117,165 ·
Firewall is the same as far as I can tell. Not 100% sure on the floor pan in 250/350 vs 150. If the cab is F150 and has a bolt on trans tunnel, it would need to have the taller trans tunnel swapped over, which is about 8-10 bolts once the carpet is pulled out.

#117,166 ·
You'll be unhappy...

And for once, someone posted a REALISTIC PRICE! Im proud of you for that.

Yeah, that is a piss poor setup. No serviceability or thought for when rust sets in. Is the center part welded to the pivot pin, or does the pin go through a hole in it? I'd cut/drill the pin out, bore the hole out bigger in the moving plate and install a bronze bushing. Replace the pin with a nut and bolt, welding the nut to one of the outside arms. That way you'd just need a hole big enough to slip a socket through to disassemble in the future, and pull it out the bottom to work on it.

That deere looked pretty new. My rating system is based on crankshaft orientation. Horizontal-tractor, vertical-lawnmower. :hehe:
VERY piss poor.

The pin just went through the center of the "jaw". But rust seized it to the pin lol

You read my mind perfectly. Except Im going to try and make it to where it'll NEVER need serviced. There isn't quite room for a nut to be welded to the other side of the assembly, and tapping the hole wont work since its not exactly round anymore LOL

So, I was thinking of either doing the bronze bushing idea with a possible grease fitting with hose attached to it that would hang down under the bed. This would make it serviceable.

OR, just leave the hole large, and do an under sized pin with enough room to not rust together! hah!

And that makes sense!

It really is a lawn mower. lol

Does anyone have a set of the two post mirrors they would be willing to sell? I'm looking for the 1992-Up style. The ones that are in the shape of a 7. I bought some from Ford a couple years back they are pretty rusty. I don't want to buy another set new arms, since I fear the chrome plating will fail on me again. If anyone has a set of rust free ones, I would gladly take them off your hands.
Good luck. Id send them out to just be re-chromed professionally. They would probably last longer. OR Have some fabricated out of stainless.

Does anyone know if a gas cab is the same as a diesel cab? Except for the core support which I know is different.

Shrek in route to rescue the princess.
Yes, it will be the same, except for what Bill mentioned about the transmission cover.

#117,171 ·
You'll be unhappy...

And for once, someone posted a REALISTIC PRICE! Im proud of you for that.
Oh Garrett I had to wipe away tears just posting it. Last thing I wanted to do but the cash will be much needed this winter. And if everything goes as planned, I can buy an even betger truck come summer.

I shouldve started with a higher price. I have 2 people coming to look at it tomorrow and one lined up for Friday lol

#117,173 ·
Good luck. Id send them out to just be re-chromed professionally. They would probably last longer. OR Have some fabricated out of stainless.
Replating them is probably my best option. But I need to figure out how to get the top hinge taken apart in a manner that it can be reassembled.

#117,174 ·
Firewall is the same as far as I can tell. Not 100% sure on the floor pan in 250/350 vs 150. If the cab is F150 and has a bolt on trans tunnel, it would need to have the taller trans tunnel swapped over, which is about 8-10 bolts once the carpet is pulled out.

I looked on car-part last night. The only options were with or without headliner, with or without trans hole and crew, super or regular. They did use the E4OD trans in some of the 150's.

Shrek in route to rescue the princess.

#117,175 ·
not PSD relate, but OBS related.... got 14.7 and 15.3 out of two tanks in my 460. granted it was about as prefect as can be for MPGs, but i was impressed

#117,176 ·
Replating them is probably my best option. But I need to figure out how to get the top hinge taken apart in a manner that it can be reassembled.
Yeah, that'll be the hard part.

not PSD relate, but OBS related.... got 14.7 and 15.3 out of two tanks in my 460. granted it was about as prefect as can be for MPGs, but i was impressed
WOW thats impressive.

#117,177 ·
For the condition and miles and what not. I wouldn't take less than what you want.

But thats a good price honestly. Its fair. Nothing wrong with fair.

I hope you can find one when the time comes!
exactly right.

Both people that looked at
it seemed to like it. Said theyd talk to the bank and get back to me. And since I have had an overwhelming number of calls texts-local and in nearby states. And of course an overwhelming number of automatic messenging scammers. So trucks gonna sell soon.

Im thinking about doing a single cab build next year. Not sure what everyones input on that is. We will see when time comes. I would like to be back in an OBS though

I couldnt get more then 12mpg on a highway trip with my 460. Those are great numbers!

#117,179 ·
Luke :look: don't take a check. :hehe: And if anyone tries to talk you down, throw them off of your property. :flamethrower:
My only approved methods of payment are PayPal and Western Union :thumb:
I negotiate price with $5 increments

#117,180 ·
exactly right.

Both people that looked at
it seemed to like it. Said theyd talk to the bank and get back to me. And since I have had an overwhelming number of calls texts-local and in nearby states. And of course an overwhelming number of automatic messenging scammers. So trucks gonna sell soon.

Im thinking about doing a single cab build next year. Not sure what everyones input on that is. We will see when time comes. I would like to be back in an OBS though

I couldnt get more then 12mpg on a highway trip with my 460. Those are great numbers!
HAHA the stupid scammers...

Good interest is a good thing.

And a Regular cab is tight. Id never buy one to daily drive unless it was a Lightning.

My only approved methods of payment are PayPal and Western Union :thumb:
I negotiate price with $5 increments
Don't forget CASH!

Id negotiate with $.05 increments. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.