Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
9M views 119K replies 682 participants last post by  wuntunearlybko 
#1 ·
Hey guys I figured us OBS guys could have a little chat thread where we can just talk about modding the trucks and anything else with our trucks, what numbers we are making, any questions, etc. and just kind of BS

and so Nick will stop derailing my thread. LOL just kiddin man

So lets chat!

#117,081 ·
You never know but if it works at the hu then it's in the wires but quite possible is the wires since the move a lot but you've got to find the problem

#117,082 ·
I'll check it out Monday. Heading south for shotgun season tonight. Don't know if I can trust the OBS to make it that far lol. I cannot get the drivers side door panel to come off. There are 3 stripped out screws. Tried EZ outs and everything lol

#117,083 ·
Picked a new truck! New to OBS but familar with the 7.3, dad has 3 Superduty 7.3s
Sorry I don't know how to rotate the picture or make them bigger!

Attachments

#117,084 ·
You can always use a 9V battery with some test leads at the HU connector to test the speakers and wiring (disconnect the HU from the harness.) Touch the battery to a speaker pair, you should hear the speaker click if the wiring is good.

#117,085 ·
Picked a new truck! New to OBS but familar with the 7.3, dad has 3 Superduty 7.3s
Sorry I don't know how to rotate the picture or make them bigger!
Nice truck! Looks rust free from what I can tell. I usually use a photo sharing website like photobucket and paste the link to post nice pics on here
You can always use a 9V battery with some test leads at the HU connector to test the speakers and wiring (disconnect the HU from the harness.) Touch the battery to a speaker pair, you should hear the speaker click if the wiring is good.
Sweet, I appreciate it Bill. That sounds fairly easy and will narrow it down to something

#117,086 ·
Some of the bed rails are getting a little rusty but the cab corners and rocker panels have been done sometime recently! Just had the safety done and it needed all the brakes fixed and a u joint and a couple other things, but at least all the parts are good priced for these trucks! So mechanically everything is sound engine runs great transmission has a little grind if your WOT shifting into 4th and the clutch engages around the top of the pedal travel (maybe it has a aftermarket clutch in it :confused: )

#117,087 · (Edited)
Some of the bed rails are getting a little rusty but the cab corners and rocker panels have been done sometime recently! Just had the safety done and it needed all the brakes fixed and a u joint and a couple other things, but at least all the parts are good priced for these trucks! So mechanically everything is sound engine runs great transmission has a little grind if your WOT shifting into 4th and the clutch engages around the top of the pedal travel (maybe it has a aftermarket clutch in it :confused: )
Synchos probably are a bit worn, causing the 4th grind. Probably doesn't grind if you let it "spin down" a bit. Clutch hydraulics can be weird, sometimes the pedal can be high, while others are low to the floor.

#117,088 ·
Yes I agree; I'll keep this truck for a long time, and get it fixed some day. Not to big of a problem yet!

#117,089 ·
One of these? You want one of these???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYD6eqAHuY

Thank you sir.
You're welcome, and thats a neat little vid. Are you having issues printing them?

Update on my fuel situation. The pump was extremely weak. It was a miracle the truck was still running. I'm not sure how it could have ran. The lift portion of the pump barely worked. I suspect there was some sort of siphoning effect keeping the bowl full. Nonetheless I had a new in box lift pump in inventory. The truck runs great again.. So efuel will wait for now. Next up I will drop the tanks to get whatever dirt is in there.
Ive seen these trucks run with 0psi fuel pressure. Its strange. But glad you got it fixed!

Over the summer my two front speakers mysteriously went out. First the passenger then the drivers a few weeks later. Now my rear passenger speaker is out. What could possibly be going on here? Searched everywhere for an answer. Pulled the HU and checked every connection and even put a new speaker in the passenger front when the issue first started. Didn't fix it. :dunno:
Id say head unit issues.

Thats good for speaker testing, and they actually make a speaker tester where you can adjust tones sent to the speaker.

What Bill said, the manuals are known for worn syncros as they age.

Rolled 260,000 on the F250 the other day, and put T6 in it for winter. Hopefully that helps starting on the cold days. Fixed my EBPV valve yesterday too. Found 3 broken wires. I have mine on a switch, and the broken wires were unprotected connectors lol

Then found 3 loose clamps on my transmission lines. Its like holy crap, what else is broken…

Today, I get to yank the turbo on my dads 2008 E350. FUN

#117,090 ·
You're welcome, and thats a neat little vid. Are you having issues printing them?

Ive seen these trucks run with 0psi fuel pressure. Its strange. But glad you got it fixed!

These machines are very finicky, you can grow a part for 10 hours and then the part breaks free of the bed ruining the part. The material isn't expensive, the time is. Getting frustrated can put me off for days or a week. Then there are times when everything works. Here is a full size Imortan Joe mask I used for Halloween. This took 14 hours twice for two halves. It just worked. Other times I can waste a roll of material and a weeks worth of time with no progress.

Oh, and more than once I have driven my truck with 0 psi fuel.

#117,091 ·
Thats good for speaker testing, and they actually make a speaker tester where you can adjust tones sent to the speaker.

Today, I get to yank the turbo on my dads 2008 E350. FUN
One day I should try my phone line toner for giggles and see if it works for testing speakers. I'll try a junk speaker first.

That doesn't sound like fun. You can probably access the back of the turbo via the doghouse, but the front stuff will be a bear.

#117,092 ·
Hey guys, just picked up my first OBS. Bought a 97 crew cab long box 4x4 from the original owner 100% stock except for airbags in the rear. My only concern is the stance that she sits at. The truck has to sit a good 2-3 inches higher in the rear than the front.

I'm wanting to level out the front but I've read several different ways to do it. Which way do you guys recommend?

#117,093 ·
These machines are very finicky, you can grow a part for 10 hours and then the part breaks free of the bed ruining the part. The material isn't expensive, the time is. Getting frustrated can put me off for days or a week. Then there are times when everything works. Here is a full size Imortan Joe mask I used for Halloween. This took 14 hours twice for two halves. It just worked. Other times I can waste a roll of material and a weeks worth of time with no progress.

Oh, and more than once I have driven my truck with 0 psi fuel.
Thats pretty cool looking. And I believe that. When I looked into 3D printers, that was the issue. Getting them to either STAY on the bed, or get them OFF of it lol

One day I should try my phone line toner for giggles and see if it works for testing speakers. I'll try a junk speaker first.

That doesn't sound like fun. You can probably access the back of the turbo via the doghouse, but the front stuff will be a bear.
I don't see why it wouldn't.

And it wasn't as bad as I thought. After removing half the engine compartment… Hot and cold side IC pipes, Oil Fill Tube, Power Steering Res., Intake tube and box lid, wiring harness from the cowl. Then the Up pipes from the manifold, and the down pipe in the dog box, along with the oil feed tube, and VGT Solenoid plug. You pry the turbo off the drain, turn it, make it do acrobatics, and it comes out through the dog box hole. It took me about 1.5 hours to get it totally out and on the bench, which for my first try, I thought was good, then this is where the bad stuff happened…

We had a turbo put on by a local diesel shop about 2-3 years ago. (20,000 miles ago).

First Issue… The Oil Feed tube, which uses 2 bolts to attach to the turbo with an approximate 3/8" line, was covering 7/8ths of the hole. They didn't line the gasket up, and it was actually impeding oil flow.

2nd issue, the unison ring needed chiseled off the center section. It should move freely on it.

3rd issue, half of the vanes were STUCK to the exhaust housing studs that they rotate on. The other half were very sticky.

4th issue, The center shaft seemed to be dragging. Couldn't feel it, but when spun by hand, it seemed to slow down rather quick. Which could have been due to the restricted oil path.

5th and FINAL issue, broke a mounting stud off the exhaust housing. JUNK TURBO.

Those two vanes we let soak for about 8 hours. They still wont move.

So, we ordered up a Powermax Stage 1 for it, and it will be here Monday before noon. Just sucks we couldn't have had it tomorrow. Had we did the job Thursday, we could have had the Turbo today.

So, now the van sits in the garage all weekend without a turbo, and parts everywhere. Dad wasn't too pleased about the turbo, but after looking at all the negatives, a new turbo is worth it in all reality.

I also have a 4" Exhaust laying there for it, so we might just throw that on there too while its down and out.

Hey guys, just picked up my first OBS. Bought a 97 crew cab long box 4x4 from the original owner 100% stock except for airbags in the rear. My only concern is the stance that she sits at. The truck has to sit a good 2-3 inches higher in the rear than the front.

I'm wanting to level out the front but I've read several different ways to do it. Which way do you guys recommend?
I am assuming its an F350… The mini-pack is about the best way to level the solid axle leaf sprung trucks.

#117,094 ·
Sounds like I'm gonna be doing quite a bit of travelling from IL to GA this winter. Anyone on here got any cheap, fuel efficient cars for sale? Can't find a good deal on craigslist these days it seems.
And after over 2 years of owning the OBS it may be up for sale soon.. I could use the money for when I'm attending school in GA. But so much sentimental value.. Lol. Gonna really ponder on it. But for you guys only, its always for sale and knowing you'd take good care of it id make you a hell of a deal.

#117,095 ·
Sounds like I'm gonna be doing quite a bit of travelling from IL to GA this winter. Anyone on here got any cheap, fuel efficient cars for sale? Can't find a good deal on craigslist these days it seems.
And after over 2 years of owning the OBS it may be up for sale soon.. I could use the money for when I'm attending school in GA. But so much sentimental value.. Lol. Gonna really ponder on it. But for you guys only, its always for sale and knowing you'd take good care of it id make you a hell of a deal.
Id keep it if I were you. And nothing is cheap any longer. And trust me, if you're going to be traveling that much, spend the money on something decent. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

#117,097 ·
Yeah, the stock speakers really are not that good old tech, not to mention years of being exposed to the elements.. I was looking for an excuse to change mine. It may be a good idea to take the door panel off to ensure you have the right speaker size as there were several different ones used for this truck. I ordered from Amazon and they specified the wrong size on their site, so I had to take it a specialty shop and have them installed. I know I could have returned them but I'm a little stubborn hehe. I order Polk DB series, and a Sony MEX GS810 stereo- it has HD, Sirius... oh and an app that works well in assisting programming and every day use.

#117,099 ·
Id keep it if I were you. And nothing is cheap any longer. And trust me, if you're going to be traveling that much, spend the money on something decent. It'll save you a lot of headaches.
I'll probably keep it.. Trucks been too good and gets too many compliments to let go lol. I'll probably buy a Prius for the long commutes.

Kidding. Gonna go to a Ford dealership Monday and see what kind of a deal I can snag.

#117,100 ·
Nice, the grey one really looks good, especially with those wheels! It looks really modern.
Mine? Thank you

Yeah, the stock speakers really are not that good old tech, not to mention years of being exposed to the elements.. I was looking for an excuse to change mine. It may be a good idea to take the door panel off to ensure you have the right speaker size as there were several different ones used for this truck. I ordered from Amazon and they specified the wrong size on their site, so I had to take it a specialty shop and have them installed. I know I could have returned them but I'm a little stubborn hehe. I order Polk DB series, and a Sony MEX GS810 stereo- it has HD, Sirius... oh and an app that works well in assisting programming and every day use.
Polk isn't too bad. Ive never had luck with Sony head units.

And that doesn't surprise me, it seems like no one is ever sure of what goes in these trucks lol

Yes it is a 350. The early 99 mini pack will work correct?
Yeah, it'll work. Just may need to use different u bolts.

I'll probably keep it.. Trucks been too good and gets too many compliments to let go lol. I'll probably buy a Prius for the long commutes.

Kidding. Gonna go to a Ford dealership Monday and see what kind of a deal I can snag.
Exactly lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.