Uuuh kinda like overheating.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 09:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Uuuh kinda like overheating....

Ok... Start with a quick story. Thanksgiving trip to visit relatives 2,000 mile RT. Did dome mileage testing to post later...

Anyway at about mile 1300, climbing a long grade I smell antifreeze. Faster than you can say hot the gauge went to the peg and the red light goes on. I pull over. Under the engine is what looks like a heater hose. Coolant is pouring out. I relieve pressure at the cap and let 'er cool. Get under and cut and splice the line... it had been rubbing on a fram member and finally let go. All sealed up I add the two gallons of antifreeze I have plus a couple of bottles of water and limp to the first offramp. The engine is HOT...

I let 'er cool, add water and more antifreeze, and take off. engine temp is normal. I drive 20 miles and smell antifreeze, engine gets hot and I pull over. Water and coolant are pouring out under the cap (16PSI). I am luckily at a rest stop so I add more antifreeze and fill'er up.

Engine is cool... I run 20 miles... same thing. I pull the tank to look for leaks, none. check the cap, looks good. This continues for about 200 miles. The water is always coming out of the cap and the engine never heats up until almost all the coolant is gone, then it heats FAST.

I replace the cap thinking it has gone South. At this point I notice that the heater blows hot no matter what the switch position. I leave the heater on with the blower and get 100 miles between refills. Fortunately it gets cold outside and the last leg it lasts 150 miles till I'm home.

Key thoughts. It doesn't get hot till it loses coolant. The cap is blowing out the coolant. The cap is new. the heater will not go off.

Thermostat?

Also... When I patched the initial break in the water line there was a device... about 2 inches long, in the line just before the break. I shoved a pencil into it to stop the coolant from running out. I have no idea what it is or where that line goes. Not sure if it has anything to do with it.

Any ideas?

As for the mileage test... it involves tire sizes, speed, and the TS performance module (I know, I know) Once I get the data into a spread sheet I can figure it out.

Thanks

Slam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well I guess I will chim in first if you have the pencil still in there get it out. two could be a stuck closed thermostat but it almost sounds like you added a bunch of water and not a lot of antifreeze remember more water than antifreeze will lower the boiking point as for not enough pressure can also lower the boiling point. Also check your heater core while you do a inspection That hose you are talking about I believe that is for your resivor.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:24 PM

LOL! The pencil was just to keep me from getting parboiled while I did the fix. I removed it before I finally connected the lines and it flowed freely. I was worried about the metal thing being some sort of valve.

The mix I used was about 50/50 or a little better on the AF side of things. I bought about 10 gallons of antifreeze on the drive home plus the two I carried. I'll be checking that line's destination tomorrow but it was under pressure and alongside the frame. I was thinking it might be headed towards the rear heater.

Good idea to check that core after all this stuff.

Thanks

Slam
Old 12-01-2008, 01:46 PM

you used 50/50 mix you said you added water to it?
that could make it worse the glycerin or what ever it is raises the boiling point a little
if its not mixed add distelled water if its mixed dont add just pour :] lol

could be a filter thats cloged or thermostate is gumed up and froze
Old 12-01-2008, 02:18 PM

The chemical is Ethylene glycol.

It is not glycerin nor has it ever been. The recommended mix for freeze protection is a minimum of 50% and a maximum of 70%. The type of water makes zero difference. I used 50% because that is all the antifreeze I had and if I had used pure water it would make no difference. The system is exceeding the 16PSI of the cap as soon as it warms to running temperature. There is no filter on the cooling system. The system was flushed before the trip and was clean.

The issue is that something froze, most likely the thermostat but if there was another diagnosis I'd be interested. Anything that can raise the pressure is a suspect. Today I did a gas analysis looking for exhaust gasses in the coolant (possible if there is a headgasket/crack etc problem) There was none.

Slam
Old 12-01-2008, 03:21 PM

The only thing I know that could exceed past the pressure would be a Radiator cap but you said you replaced it other than that there is nothing else that I know that could do that not even a stuck closed thermo because the cap should still relieve pressure at whatever is specidied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.