Starts smooth, then instantly to 4 cyl's, then stalls. UVCH fine. ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starts smooth, then instantly to 4 cyl's, then stalls. UVCH fine. ???

95 E(yes)350. It's been down at least 1 gp the last 4 years, but it's such a PITA to get the covers off in the van that I figured I'd wait til I needed to get in there for something else. As such, it starts rough as heck if it's in the teens or colder unless plugged in, then smooths out.

Last night I forgot to plug it in, managed to get it plugged in for about an hour this morning in 2F temps before I had to leave, which isn't really enough. Started right up, though, blowing lots of white smoke and chugging per usual until it's warm enough to run on all 8. When it sounded like it was on all 8, I went to back out the driveway and she stalled after about 15 feet. CEL came on. Now the only way to get it to start is to hold the gas all the way down: For the first couple revolutions it's smooth and nice, then it sounds like it's on 4 cylinders for a few chugs, then stalls.

I don't have AE, but I do have a locked chip scanner. Only code registered was P0478, which is for the EBPV--I have no idea if this code could be old, as I haven't had reason to scan this van in ages. I cleared the code and it hasn't come back through the day of working on it.

What I've checked:

Pulled the IDM harness off and checked continuity for the feeds and return on all injectors. All are 2.9 except two are 3.1--totally within spec.

Tried starting w/o the ICP sensor and without the EBPV sensor, with no difference besides throwing the respective codes.

Truck has been plugged in all day and it's in the high 20's so it should have no issues starting. It starts IMMEDIATELY, actually, but almost instantly drops to a horrible chug then stalls.

Backstory: I replaced the drivers' VCG and UVCH's about 4 years ago, plus whatever GP were bad on that side. It's a chore on a van. The passenger side showed 1 dead GP then, and the front passenger VCG clip was RTV'd on by the previous owner... but since I can ohm it out from the IDM harness, I've not messed with it. The right rear two GP's are dead for sure as of today. There's a stacor relay on it that is functioning fine.

Also, though I think it's unrelated, the oil cooler seals shat the bed a few weeks ago and I pulled the whole thing apart and resealed it. No leaks and it's been running fine since.

My gut says it's symptoms of a UVCH issue, and I'm thinking to just open it up and see, but with healthy readings it seems like a fool's errand. I have no way to buzz the cylinders.

Any ideas? I need this thing up and running... and had planned to sell the van off at the end of this spring, so I'm not really excited about sinking a fortune into AE.

Thanks.

Luke in NY

edit: Follow your gut I guess. Spent the rest of the afternoon working the valve cover off and the connector that I WAS able to check is fried inside. Mods feel free to delete--I don't see how I can do it?

Last edited by ldeikis; 03-01-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You may want to remove the IDM and check for possible water intrusion (the vans had more issues with that particular problem). Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.