Wierd throttle issue. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 07:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wierd throttle issue.

I tried searching but after half an hour I gave up.

I'm new to the 7.3 PS so some things just don't compute for me. For instance, If I don't set the parking brake when I start the car, the throttle doesn't work. I can start the truck just fine, it idles fine but when I step on the throttle, the pedal depresses but the engine just idles and the transmission won't engage.

After it runs for a minute or two it generally works fine OR if I shut 'er down, set the parking brake and restart, it will run fine. Now does anyone have any ideas about this? If I was running from zombies I'd be stuck...

Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
that is one of the odds things i have heard... i dont even know where to start
Old 11-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Conservative and Proud

Sounds like gremlins to me! Sorry I had to.

One of the great techs should be along shortly!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
this is wierd. could a faulty TPS do this?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 AM

Here is more of the story. The vehicle has a Ford idle controller...

What IZZIT?

In order to get to the back of the engine I have to disconnect the unit to remove the doghouse over the rear of the engine (E350 4x4 van). Yesterday I removed the unit to R&R the glow plug relay. Today the issue appeared again. This does not happen every time I start the engine but it seems to be only when it is cold. Once warm all is (knock on wood) good.

When it is happening I get a "check engine" light each time I press the throttle which suggests the TPS is working or at least signaling. I'm wondering if something in the Ford idle controller is disconnecting the throttle until things warm up. I don't know enough about the device to be able to figure that part out.

There is no chip on the computer, yet.

I thought about the CPS but there it never hesitates, stops or behaves like I expect a bad CPS to behave.

As an aside... When I removed the bad glow plug relay I took the time to grind it open to see what had gone wrong as the solenoid seemed to work but no current was flowing to the glow plugs. Apparently some Neanderthal, at some point decided to torque the power leads down nice and tight. SO tight that he sucked the contact right through the phenolic that makes up the relay case and that pulled the face of the contact away from the contact plate. There were microscopic cracks but nothing really obvious from the outside. The thing worked fine for awhile and then....

Anyway....

Slam
Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 AM

Sort of an update.

The problem seems to be related to engine temperature. Yesterday I drove the 35 miles out to Spokane, Wa and parked... cold and rainy about 38f. After about 5 hours it was time to go and I got in the engine felt dead cold but not overnight cold. It started up and no throttle... in about 15 seconds the throttle was back.

Last night it got down to about 32-34f and the engine got overnight cold. It started up but took almost a minute to give me throttle. This is consistent with when I was in Wyoming and it was 17f overnight and took around a minute to release control to me.

If the car is warm the throttle works immediately.

That's my cactus and I'm sticking to it.

Slam
Old 11-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

psd

It sounds like moisture in wires or plug in's.this is a shot in the dark ?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamaxe View Post
Sort of an update.

The problem seems to be related to engine temperature. Yesterday I drove the 35 miles out to Spokane, Wa and parked... cold and rainy about 38f. After about 5 hours it was time to go and I got in the engine felt dead cold but not overnight cold. It started up and no throttle... in about 15 seconds the throttle was back.

Last night it got down to about 32-34f and the engine got overnight cold. It started up but took almost a minute to give me throttle. This is consistent with when I was in Wyoming and it was 17f overnight and took around a minute to release control to me.

If the car is warm the throttle works immediately.

That's my cactus and I'm sticking to it.

Slam
What are you running for oil? 15w40 is quite thick at those temps. It takes a bit for the oil to warm enough to properly fire the injectors.

It also sounds like the Aux Idle controller may be causing issues for you as well
Old 11-08-2008, 10:21 AM

Thanks! I plan to check the connections today. It's not an enormous PITA but it is annoying. If it's some sort of function I'm OK with it. If it's a part going South I'm not OK with it.

I use Rotella 15x40.

I'll check the idle controller today. I have the machine off, cooling down, I plan to disconnect the device and see what happens. It starts and runs fine without the controller plugged in as happens when I have the engine cover off during work. Never tried it when it starts to cool down.

This thing was first sold in Alaska. It has the block heater as well as battery heaters. They might have added some other safety we don't see here where it seldom drops below 0f.

Slam
Old 11-09-2008, 05:28 PM

Just an update.

Problem solved. It's programmed into the computer. I got an email from a Ford guy who said that in VERY cold climes they program in a throttle disconnect until the engine heats to a certain point. The vehicle was built for Alaska.

As confirmation, I installed a TS performance chip (I know... don't hammer me with DP is better I don't need more than what I got) and the issue disappeared on position one (50 hp) and all the other positions.

FWIW I like the TS chip so far. It is smooth and works as advertised. On the high power setting the thing smokes like a locomotive. Transmission shifts have been smooth and on time.

I guess that is all I can add to this thread.

Slam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.