Couple of q's for ya - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Couple of q's for ya

Hello all, I currently own a 2000 Super Duty but just came across a great deal on a lower mileage 97 obs that has a couple of problems and Im wondering if I should pick it up? My main reason for considering this is because it is a 4 door and I don't have to smog a 97 here in California.

The biggest issue is that it is a California edition which I hear is no good? It has some issues regaurding the PCM which I figure relates to it being a CA edition. It will run just fine and then out of the blue just die. Sometimes you can start it up sometimes not. Is there a way I can convert to an older or newer PCM?

My next round of questions Involves performance. How much power can I make without an intercooler? Meaning when is it a necessity? Same question goes for and e-fuel conversion? Do I need to do that? I would plan on a d66, baby swamps or something similar, valve body and possibly a TQ, and tunes,gauges,intake.

One last thing, I will be going off to college in the fall and the climate there compared to the valley in California will be significantly different in regards to temperaturs. It will be way colder where im going and which truck do you think would handle it better?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.

Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You won't have any issues, both trucks have split shot injectors, swapping to an older or newer PCM requires a re pin of the harness, both obviously require glow plugs and a relay to start in colder climates

The issue the obs seems to have is a CPS, mine did that exact same thing too when I bought it, I've had a Cali model it was the best truck I ever had, e fuel and an ic are not necessary but very nice, e fuel will keep the pressure, and the ic will keep the egt's down longer, obviously all trucks will climb in egt's but the ic prolongs the cooler temps,

The obs is significantly lighter and typically attains better fuel economy, interior is not nearly as lavish, but can be made so, I'd rock the obs if I were you
Old 02-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. How hard is the repin? I know there is something wrong with the PCM because they keep going out. I have personally changed the cps, so i don't think that is it. Ill do it again since it was awhile ago. I know the lady who is selling it so there is no hurry in getting it, she said if i want it it's mine!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The re pin is easy, but in an awkward spot so difficult Kause of that, I've personally never had an issue with the Cali PCM, heard of them going but never personally had the problem, where did you get the CPs from as for that being the problem
Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what exactly have you heard about the Cali PCM's, do you know what causes them to go out? I got the CPS from Napa (my dad owns one). What color CPS is the good one again, I cant remeber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.