trans cooler removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trans cooler removal

i have a 97' that i am installing an H2e on tomorrow and i need to know how to remove and reinstall the transcooler without f'in somethin up. and also someone showed there intercooler install and moved the transcooler to the center of the radiator for clearance, my question is could i put it on the front of the intercooler itself. thanks for any and all help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 03:06 PM

bump up top i really need to know by tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:24 PM

Well i upgraded mine to a bigger one and when i removed it all i did was un hook the lines from it and let them drain into a small jug along with the trans cooler so i knew how much trans fluid i lost and could put that much more back in. Its pretty easy. When i installed my IC i re routed my trans lines to go under the front frame and come up so the trans cooler sits on the outside of my IC. Never have high temps in the trans so im guessing its working for me lol. I would go take a picture for you but its dark out.

Hope this kinda helps
-Steve
Old 11-04-2008, 04:28 PM

it does cause i was wondering if i could mount it on the outside of the IC but how did you remove the studs that held it to the radiator?
Old 11-04-2008, 04:35 PM

My stock trans cooler was only bolted to the center pole that connected to the hood latch and to the metal on the side of the radiatior and it was all just simple screws that i unscrewed. Im not sure if your is different. after the intercooler goes in your have to hook it up different cause having the intercooler makes your get rid of the center pole that connets to the hood latch.

Here is a write up on installing a intercooler..im not sure if it helps Tims I/C Page example

I have one on a trans cooler install ill look for it for you.

-Steve
Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yeah, that was me that moved the trans cooler to the middle. when i have time i plan on doing what 97 stroker did and route the lines underthe frame and mount the tranny cooler in front of IC
Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 PM

my cooler is probably close to the same size as yours did yours mount using four little studs? excuse me for sounding like a newbie but from an automatic stand point i am
Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badpsd View Post
my cooler is probably close to the same size as yours did yours mount using four little studs? excuse me for sounding like a newbie but from an automatic stand point i am
i didnt mount mine with the studs, my cooler came with metal straps attached to the back that swiveled. i used those, and put self tapping metal screws to hold it up near the hood latch. i hope that made sense... if not, i will get pics tomorrow when it is light out
Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 PM

okay thats cool my H2e will be hear sometime tomorrow so i just need to know for when i put it on
Old 11-04-2008, 05:02 PM

Its okay..i was there at one point too. Yes it mounted to 4 studs. Your best bet is to re route the lines. If your look under your truck there is a frame bar that goes across the front of the truck. your can pull the lines down from were they are now and run them under that bar and up around the front again and it makes more room for the intercooler to go in cause the lines get in the way of were the pipe connects to the cooler. i tried to take a pic but its way to dark. Ill try to draw your up a picture lol.

I hope im making sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.