HELP ANY IDEAS WELCOME 1997 7.3 wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP ANY IDEAS WELCOME 1997 7.3 wont start

Batt were dead so I charged them a bit and tried it every time it almost started and batt die, truck sat for a month in cold weather have never had issues starting it b4......messed with it here and there would not quite fire just spit and sput, checked filter its full, CPS is 2 months old, seems like the injectors are not firing fuel in as I sprayed just a tad of starting fluid in and it chugged from the fluid was all......however when hooking up charger at one time I for a split second had cables backwards.........checked all fuses in truck nothing blown but just turns over and nothing even pops.....any help be great thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
plug it in and make sure the (might want to get them load tested) are fully charged. after that does it spin over fast? is there any smoke from the exhaust?

if the batteries are bad they should be replaced in pairs
Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes I did a load check on them there good and now fully charged spins over fine no smoke like the injectors are not powering up.......starting to wonder if I smoked the CDI box

Last edited by Racetech19; 02-20-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've known people to fry PCM's on vehicles when they hooked the battery up backwards. No idea if that will happen on this vehicle or not though.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

people will scream at me for suggesting this - the engine needs to spin at a minimum rpm in order for the pcm to allow it to start, so be sure the batteries are up to snuff. first thing is check all your fuses. if good, then check your oil level. if good, check to see if there is fuel in the bowl. if there is, drain it, and crank the engine again - check to see if it filled. if it did, you know your pump works, and you are getting fuel at least that far. you know your engine is getting air - so then its down to high pressure oil, fuel to the injectors, or a sensor of some type.

what "i" would do - is disconnect the power to the glow plug relay and try spraying a small amount of WD40, or starting fluid. some people will act like im telling you to throw a grenade in your motor but its hardly as bad as some people make it out to be. the key is disconnecting the glow plugss. anyway - if the engine turns over - you know its a fuel issue, if not - high pressure oil, or sensor. it could be a few different things but this will narrow it down assuming your pcm and other major electronics are good. you may just need to pump some fuel through the system and purge some air if its been sitting for while and you didnt have an issue before.

Last edited by kctyphoon; 02-20-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 AM

I agree with everything kctyphoon said. Is your wait to start light coming on? its controlled by the PCM usually if it comes on its ok. Also check to see if theres oil in the HPOP resivoir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.