buying a ford - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
buying a ford

hey guys I have been in the diesel seen a couple years now but still havent owned one. I got into them ever since my dad got his 06 dmax. Now I want one. I have been looken at the 7.3 obs an the dodge ctd I cant decide what to get I got a couple of months before I buy one. Just lookin for some opinions an what would be a better truck. This truck will be my ever day driver an I will never tow with it. Just want to do tires maybe a lift exhaust chip an intake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 PM

Personally I like the 7.3 obs or Superduty better than the Dodge CTD. The Cummins is a great motor, no doubt, but personally the rest of the truck won't hold up. On the other hand the Ford will hold up better, and the 7.3 is a proven and ultra reliable motor. That being said I think the Ford would be a better choice in the long run. That's just me good luck on either decision you make, can't go too wrong diesel is always the right choice!
Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to kx592
Quote:
Originally Posted by scagmanf350 View Post
Personally I like the 7.3 obs or Superduty better than the Dodge CTD. The Cummins is a great motor, no doubt, but personally the rest of the truck won't hold up. On the other hand the Ford will hold up better, and the 7.3 is a proven and ultra reliable motor. That being said I think the Ford would be a better choice in the long run. That's just me good luck on either decision you make, can't go too wrong diesel is always the right choice!
99% of the guys on here will agree...base off that
Old 10-31-2008, 03:59 AM

Easy solution just get both.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Easy solution just get both.
good point!

also what the other two guys said is good guidance. i like the psd because the truck seems to hold up well and doesnt have and ip (injection pump). i like the ctd because imho its best of the best practically available motors, but again, the dodge auto tranny and truck durability less desireable. not that the E40D is any better. if you want the best of both, get a cummins motor ford truck and well built E40D or 4l80e tranny. hell, 4bt's are pretty inexpensive! unless you go manual. but thats a bit if a project.

i was in the diesel scene for a few years before i got one last march. i got mine, love it and it will take an act of God to make me turn back to gas.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:54 PM

I would go with the ford. I bought my 97 with 200,000 on it and now I have close to 350,000 on it and no major break downs, and in most cases a PSD will get better mpg than a cummins. And the ford is just a better looking truck.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:01 PM

that is good to here cause when I buy one it is gonna have any where from 120k to 200k that is what I can afford. one of my buddys got one an he has 267k put he has had a couple of problems such as injectors which he hasent replaced an the trans went.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
I thought cummins normally got better fuel mileage. Ive got a freind with a 2500 with the 5.9 and gets 25mpg + with it on the highway. My trucks never seen that. But imho ford is the way to go as said above the rest of the dodge trucks just arent that great. My babys got 270 on her with the orig transmission with no major breakdowns on her yet cept right now shes got a horrible fuel leak.....6 gallons gone in 30 miles
Old 10-31-2008, 03:17 PM

ford powerstroke,nuff said,but your on a ford site,no matter which site you go to 99% of the people will say there brand,but the ford\powerstroke combo is great.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to AaronATX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97powerstroker View Post
ford powerstroke,nuff said,but your on a ford site,no matter which site you go to 99% of the people will say there brand,but the ford\powerstroke combo is great.
what he said.

you have to remember you're on a powerstroke site, it's hard to get past the bias, just like it would be on a cummins site, or a duramax site. If you want big power, go Cummins. If you want a truck that's in it for the long haul, go Powerstroke. The 7.3 is a great motor, it lasts, it pulls, and it hauls. And while it's not necessarily a gas sipper, I've hit 25.54 in mine, all highway. around 18-20 combined when I'm easy on the go pedal, which is hard to be since it's too much fun to run it hard.

But whatever truck you choose, whether it be Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, if it's done right it's done right. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.