2000 5.4l f250-7.3l swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 5.4l f250-7.3l swap

First time poster here, i have on opportunity to buy a 97 f250 with a running 7.3l. It has axles from a 2001 f250 and an automatic tranny, plus 4x4. The truck is my friends and he is going to let me take it for 1,500. I know thats a steal but i can drive this truck home today so I know there are no problems. I know it would just be smarter to drive the 97 but i am going to be using the axels for my 2003 small block ranger, but that's a later project. anyways heres what im getting at. id like the 7.3 to be in my 2000 super duty that has the 5.4l in it right now. The 5.4 has just about 300,000 on it and it is just used and abused and tired. Is the 97 7.3 the same as the 99 and up 7.3?, can anybody who has done a swap like this give me an idea of what im getting into? I know i will need to swap,

-Fuel tank
-Radiator
- I am guessing my 5 speed will not bolt up to the 7.3?
- Leaf springs from 97 for added weight of 7.3?
-Wiring harness

What am i missing?

I know most people will tell me not to do this but his truck is a project truck now. I would like to make some real horse power on the 7.3 before I am done and that is why I am doing this< not to get better gas mileage and save money or anything like that.

Thanks A lot for any help and sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The only real similarity between the OBS (old body style) 7.3 and the SD (super duty) 7.3 is the engine. Everything else is different. So you almost need a full SD truck worth of parts to swap. Im not saying it cant be done but thats a lot of work with the wrong parts
Old 02-10-2014, 03:02 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i agree with joe. i'm sure it can be done, but don't think it;s worth it. front accessories are different, you will need SD wiring harness, diesel gauges, different trans. the leaf springs for an OBS are shorter (can probably reuse your gasser springs). SD has an electric vacuum pump, and electric fuel. probbly need a SD PCM and then a chip for the OBS injectors, does the OBS have an IC, SD came with them. i'm sure there's more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.