Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Thermostat. What temp to use?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  WelchyBoy833 
#1 ·
Recently my truck has been running a little cooler than normal. And no - not just because of the COLD east coast temps. Was a balmy 30 the other day and the gauge was low. Heat takes a little longer to warm up as well. Any suggestions of what temp thermostat I should replace it with? The current one was done by my mechanic a while ago when my water pump crapped the bed a few winters ago. Truck is basically stock with no crazy mods. Still runs fine at 377k. Any input is appreciated.

#5 ·
I put in a 203* and I do not like it. I did not see any improved power or millage and I have found that now when I am towing 12K in the heat the truck runs too hot for my liking. I can hit 230 - 240 easy pulling a long hill even with my cooling mods. Never had that problem with the 190*. I think the 203 is fine for a DD or a truck that pulls light loads but be aware if you pull heavy in the mountains like I do. I am not saying that it is a bad thing or that it is a bad product. I think it was a quality piece it just didn't work for me. Others have had it work better for them. But, I will be switching back to a 190* once it warms up here.

#6 ·
I tow 15k plus in elevations from 1000-10,000 ft on grades up to12%. Try a 6.0 fan, it works very well.

#7 ·
I do have a 6.0 fan. Looking at 1Dieselman's mods list compared to mine the big difference is he has injectors and DP tunes. I am running stock injectors with no tune. Maybe that is the reason I run hotter then he does.

#10 ·
It's got to be tough towing with no tune's. Keep in mind that more fuel creates more internal heat.

#8 ·
I give you credit for towing that much without tunes. I don't know what I would do without tunes, it's nice going from a regular tow tune to a heavy tow tune when I need it.

Mine stayed just fine on the temp when towing around 8k. But then i'm not towing a load like you guys.

#9 ·
It does take a long time to get to where I am going :rofl:

Stage 2 injectors and DP tunes come next month. Just before RV season. I can't wait.

#13 ·
Hey guys, I just recently replaced my water pump and thermo stat but got a ford OEM thermostat, on my gauge it normally rides between the "N" and "O" in normal but if I floor it the gauge moves to between the "R" and "M" would this be anything to do with not having the 203* thermostat?

My ride is a 97 7.3 with 340,000 ZF5 and a superchips tuner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.