Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Chip or no chip 97 7.3 PSD

9K views 31 replies 4 participants last post by  97bluepowerstroke 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here as you can see but I do know some stuff about powerstrokes 7.3's, so I'm thinking of chipping my truck its an 97 f450 7.3 psd pretty much bone stock I do have a afe cold air intake and a 3" downpipe to a 3" stack I will be upgrading exhaust 3" downpipe to 5", would a ts performance 6 position chip hurt the motor and overheat it, I'd like to know what the cons of having a chip and the pros and what the best chip/tuner I should get and the difficulty of installing it and is it something I can do myself or something very difficult,
to make a long story short is it bad to chip it, I would like the extra power though. thanks guys would really appreciate it.

#2 ·
Get a 6pos and gauges.. it shouldnt over heat unless your stupid with it.. dont get a canned ts. Get a custom tuned.. php or tony wildman. I know there are others. I have tw and I love mine.. pros... better mpg. More power... cons worse mpg depending on you foot. Can wear out trans if your hard on it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
Get a 6pos and gauges.. it shouldnt over heat unless your stupid with it.. dont get a canned ts. Get a custom tuned.. php or tony wildman. I know there are others. I have tw and I love mine.. pros... better mpg. More power... cons worse mpg depending on you foot. Can wear out trans if your hard on it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/QU

It's a 97 so e40d I tak it? did 4r100's only come in 99 and up super dutys
do you recommend i get egt guage and trans temp what other guages do think I should get

#3 ·
Chipping it is not going to hurt anything if it is properly tuned for what you plan to do with the truck. What are your plans, is it a dedicated tow rig? If it a dedicated tow rig some company's such as Dp tuners can flash a permanent program on the ecm. A custom tune/chip will be the best way to go and it does not have to be a 6 position, it can be from 1 to 16 positions.

#8 ·
it's not going to be a tow rig maybe once in a while I'l tow a bit but not all the time, you don't recommend ts?

#9 ·
Theres nothing wrong with it.. but why pay that price for when the aame u get tunes specific to your truck that are what u want them as.. so instead of 10-140 tunes stepping up.. you can have a tow tune.. a eco tune.. a high idle and so on. And the customs are a ts chip.. with the knob al the same just differnt programmjng

#10 ·
what about exhaust I have 3" dp to a small mangaflow muffler than 3" pipe going up the side of my headache rack bought it used came like that, I'm thinking 3" is too small with a chip, what size exhaust do you think from the dp

#12 ·
4" or 5" your choice. The stock size was 3.5" A good custom chip can have anything burned on it you need from fast idle, stock or modified stock etc.

#14 ·
that's what I was wondering like I said bought the truck used and it came with 3" dp and than 3" pipe up the headache why would they have put a pipe smaller than stock?

#15 ·
Like above stock is 3 1/2 and thats plenty big.. I went 3in dp to 5 ojt. But I **** the sound... install.. driver tire off then remove the plastic inner fender two bolts for the computer the wiring harness pull the computer out and install the chip. Then run the wire for the selector the far wall mounted on the dash or ever you want

#21 ·
Ok I understand but how do I wire it through the firewall into the cab

#16 ·
Not hard to install, there are instructions online. Who knows why they went smaller than stock, cheap maybe? The most important step for installing the chip is making sure the ecm contacts are clean. The ecm comes from the factory with a wax type coating on the contacts that takes a little work to get all cleaned off.

#18 ·
Not hard to install, there are instructions online. Who knows why they went smaller than stock, cheap maybe?
yeah probably cheap your right, Thanks so much for the help you guys have been really helpful

#20 ·
A chip has tunes burned on to it. The other choice is a programmer which is not the most recommended way to go.

#27 ·
Ok I think I got it thanks so much 97bluepowerstroke

#23 ·
The connection is right behind your e-brake so the connection will be inside the cab. It is only necessary to pull the ecm the first time you install a chip because it is much easier to clean the contacts

#25 ·
thanks so much jack

#31 ·
thanks so much guys great info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.