what yall think? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what yall think?

I've got an '97 OBS. I know i don't have a wastegate. I know i don't have an innercooler. I know the innercooler makes the air more dense and lowers EGT. etc...
My questions is, other than lowering EGT, What benefits do these do. I don't pull 20,000lbs regularly, I don't drag race or sled pull, which is better? A wastegated turbo, or what we got? A "non-wastegated turbo"? Just curious. never have had this question answered.
I always thought about getting an innercooler, which, i suppose, means i would need a wastegated turbo. Until Obama sends me my new stimilus check, that ain't happenin.
Don't get me wrong, truck runs great, but wonder if there is that much difference. do you need a wastegated turbo for the innercooler? WHY?
Thanks, just wanted some professional, real world advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Still running my stock turbo with the intercooler installed.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't worry about the wastegated turbo... get an I/C on there or water injection
Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

the only purpose for the intercooler is for cooler exhaust temps , its not that big a deal really if you arent pulling ,racing ,etc. to need to worry about egt's , if its chipped and you are trying to get full potential then cooler egts do help with power some , but still no drastic differences, as far as wastegated or not that doesnt matter with or without intercooler
Old 10-22-2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks

i appreciate the info. i have always wondered about it. I'd like to get an innercooler, but man, they are high!! i'd like to retrofit a 6.0, but again, HIGH!! I kinda like not having the cooler tubes cluttering up my engine bay anyhow. It's bad enough already.

I put an EGT gauge on my truck 6 months ago and it's after the turbo an pulling a hill the other day with 10,000lb, the EGT's wanted to go to about 1450!! So i let up on it. But i've got an Edge evolution and had it at 60 extra hp, and they say that it's safe for pulling without a gauge. Kinda makes me wonder how high they got the other times when i was cramming it up the same hill, pulling a load without the gauge!!

of course, Edge probably really only says that because the SD have an innercooler and "should" have no problem.
thanks for the replies guys.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
1450 is bad.
(PS dump the edge!)
Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by el conquistador View Post
i appreciate the info. i have always wondered about it. I'd like to get an innercooler, but man, they are high!! i'd like to retrofit a 6.0, but again, HIGH!! I kinda like not having the cooler tubes cluttering up my engine bay anyhow. It's bad enough already.

I put an EGT gauge on my truck 6 months ago and it's after the turbo an pulling a hill the other day with 10,000lb, the EGT's wanted to go to about 1450!! So i let up on it. But i've got an Edge evolution and had it at 60 extra hp, and they say that it's safe for pulling without a gauge. Kinda makes me wonder how high they got the other times when i was cramming it up the same hill, pulling a load without the gauge!!

of course, Edge probably really only says that because the SD have an innercooler and "should" have no problem.
thanks for the replies guys.
never listen to a company say its safe to put any type of performance upgrade on a diesel engine with gauges.... thats just rediculous...

first thing you have to do is get yourself a full set of gauges

second is take that edge off and get a custom tuned chip... TW or dp

then the IC kit...

-Raul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.