twin I beam camber fix - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kx592
Question twin I beam camber fix

Im gonna put new tires on the 97 in December since ill be able to not have to drive her for a week.I have a pretty bad wheel camber on the front tires. How hard is it to fix my self? i have excess to a lift and all the tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx592 View Post
Im gonna put new tires on the 97 in December since ill be able to not have to drive her for a week.I have a pretty bad wheel camber on the front tires. How hard is it to fix my self? i have excess to a lift and all the tools.
Depends on what is wrong. If you don't have any worn parts (i.e. I-Beam bushings, weak springs, or ball joints) you can get it aligned and have different camber/caster shims installed to correct it.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:12 PM

how hard are the camber shims to replace?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
how hard are the camber shims to replace?
They have to be done when they are doing the alignment. There are different degrees/angles so you wouldn't know which one to use with out the alignment gauges hooked up.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:40 AM

This is a job for a shop to do isnt it?
Old 10-19-2008, 05:42 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
This is a job for a shop to do isnt it?
Yeah, fraid so!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Emergency Services

It's not hard, but you have to have the right tools to measure the cambre. You also need to have the right new shim to put in. Most shops that work on Fords have a bucket full of shims of every description that they use to fix your truck. They drop your wrong shims in there, and pick out the right shims for your adjustment. Sometimes I have to buy one that they didn't happen to have on hand.

Make sure that the ball joints are good (#1 problem with twin I-beam suspension) and that your springs are not worn out (#2 problem). Axle pivot pushings can be a problem too, but not nearly as much as #1 and #2. If you are going through all that trouble, you might as well do the radius arm bushings as well. Get it all done, then align it once.

Springs are available from Oriellys or other parts stores, but I prefer the Ford OEM ones. They are a lot thicker metal, and they don't compress as much as MOOG. There might be other aftermarket substitutes available, but I don't know what they might be. Some of the other guys might throw out some brands for some better-than-stock ones.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
It's not hard, but you have to have the right tools to measure the cambre. You also need to have the right new shim to put in. Most shops that work on Fords have a bucket full of shims of every description that they use to fix your truck. They drop your wrong shims in there, and pick out the right shims for your adjustment. Sometimes I have to buy one that they didn't happen to have on hand.

Make sure that the ball joints are good (#1 problem with twin I-beam suspension) and that your springs are not worn out (#2 problem). Axle pivot pushings can be a problem too, but not nearly as much as #1 and #2. If you are going through all that trouble, you might as well do the radius arm bushings as well. Get it all done, then align it once.

Springs are available from Oriellys or other parts stores, but I prefer the Ford OEM ones. They are a lot thicker metal, and they don't compress as much as MOOG. There might be other aftermarket substitutes available, but I don't know what they might be. Some of the other guys might throw out some brands for some better-than-stock ones.
It doesn't have radius arm bushings. That was on the half tons and the 05+ trucks. Doesn't need them since it has leaf springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.